This recipe came to me after I realized I’m severely lacking in the monkey bread department. I have a couple standbys [chocolate chip cookie dough and cake batter!], but otherwise, I needed to up my game a ton… and this is the perfect way to do it!
Enter: these Magic Marshmallow Monkey Bread Muffins! Here’s the deal behind these bad boys. First: they’re monkey bread muffins – gooey, encrusted in cinnamon and sugar, and freshly baked. But the kicker is the “magic marshmallow” aspect of these muffins that takes them over the top.
You see, apparently in the 60s and 70s, everyone enjoyed marshmallow puffs, which are very similar to this recipe. It basically consisted of canned biscuits or crescent rolls filled with a jumbo marshmallow, baked until golden. When the marshmallow is exposed to the high heat of the oven, it dissolves into the dough of the crescent puff. But while the inside is now hollow and the marshmallow has disappeared, it imparts a ton of sweet, gooey flavor in its wake. The sugary-sweet marshmallow soaks into all the dough, leaving the insides really sticky and sugary. It’s especially delicious when you roll the marshmallow in butter, then dredge it in cinnamon sugar before baking. Sooooo scrumptious!
So there ya have it. Retro marshmallow puffs have taken a time machine and arrived into 2015, morphing into today’s monkey bread muffin recipe. I’ve taken the tastiest dish of the 60s and 70s and made it a perfect new breakfast treat… without bringing forth jello mold recipes, orange & brown color schemes, and lava lamps; those can stay in the past.
Now eat up!!
Magic Marshmallow Monkey Bread Muffins
- 1 (8-count) pkg refrigerated biscuits (not the flaky kind; I like using Pillsbury GRANDS)
- 24 miniature marshmallows like Kraft JET-PUFFED
- ½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 1 cup prepared cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease 8 cavities in a standard-size muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Open the can of biscuits and cut each biscuit into three equal pieces (think of a peace sign to help get them equally-sized). Flatten each piece with the heels of your hands and set aside for a moment.
- Take three miniature marshmallows and dip them into a bowl of melted butter, coating them gently. Remove them with a slotted spoon and drop them into the bowl of cinnamon sugar, dredging them until they're coated in cinnamon sugar.
- Place a miniature marshmallow in the middle of each biscuit piece. Pinch the biscuit together to completely enclose the marshmallow inside. Once the marshmallow is filled within the biscuit piece, gently coat the biscuit pieces in the butter, then roll them carefully in the cinnamon sugar. Place three biscuit pieces into one muffin cavity - that's one monkey bread muffin. Repeat with remaining marshmallows and biscuits.
- Bake for approx. 11-15 minutes or until muffins are golden and bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow them to set briefly, about 5-10 minutes, before serving. You can enjoy these at room temperature, but I prefer them warm. This recipe is very easily doubled!
Super sweet, and so crazy yummy! Kids will love dunking and dredging marshmallows, and they’ll be so shocked that the marshmallows disappear from within these warm, buttery muffins. These are so delicious!
Have a super sweet day!!