Today’s post is about combining two of my absolute favorite things: New York cannolis, and California Dairy. What could be a better mash-up?! By creating a phenomenal, creamy dip out of rich, California Dairy products from my home state, inspired by my future-home (I hope!) in New York City, the Land of Cannolis (unofficially, but it’s true), I have managed to combine both of my favorite things into one AWESOME treat for you!
So first things first: cannolis. I love them. After visiting NYC for the first time a couple years ago, I was forced by my dad to try one… and I was hooked. There’s something so enticing and fabulous about a crispy fried cannoli shell stuffed to the gills with outrageously rich cannoli cream. Heaven on earth? You bet your sweet face it is.
But the best part about those cannolis? The CREAM, obvi. I’ve been a fan of all things deliciously creamy since I can remember (and excuse your innuendos, weirdos). Cream cheese on bagels, whipped cream icing (!!), ice cream… you name it, I love it. So that tangy, slightly sweetened cannoli cream was basically the best thing to happen to my face in NYC. Besides macarons, but that’s a different story (and addiction).
Of course, that cannoli cream wouldn’t be possible without dairy. Tangy ricotta cheese, rich mascarpone, heavy cream, butter… just some of the components that make up that fabulous filling for these delicious confections.
And even though these fantastical cannolis are being cooked up across the country in New York City, it’s a pretty large chance that New York bakers are using California Dairy products to make them. Since California has been the leading milk producer in the country since 1993 (and also the leading butter, ice cream, whey concentrate and nonfat dry milk producer!) and the second largest cheese producer, the possibility that bakeries and restaurants across the United States are using California Dairy is incredibly high. Eating cannolis made with cheese and dairy from California’s famous Happy Cows? A highly delicious possibility.
Today’s recipe is centered around Real California Dairy. As a proud brand ambassador for the California Milk Advisory Board (and a proud consumer of Real California Milk!) I only shop for brands that feature the Real California Milk seal which ensures the milk and dairy products used in those items was made with California milk produced by one of the 1,500 dairy farms in our Golden State.
From the tangy ricotta to the silky cream cheese to the rich heavy cream, every product used in today’s Cannoli Dip was made with Real California Milk, providing exemplary quality and taste to this outrageously scrumptious dessert dip!
But enough about that. Let’s talk this dip, y’all. Not only would it be AWESOME for a Super Bowl party (yes!), but it’d make a sweet treat for your Valentine. Just serve it up alongside some chocolate graham crackers, waffle cone pieces, butter crisp cookies, Nilla Wafers or even fruit, and you have yourself a seriously tasty, irresistible spread. #winning
Now eat up!
- 1 (15 oz) container Real California Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 1 (8 oz) pkg Real California Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup Real California Heavy Cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar
- About ⅔ cup miniature chocolate chips
- Waffle cookes, waffle cone pieces, chocolate graham crackers, vanilla wafers, fresh fruit, or any other assorted dipping items, for dipping/garnish
- First, drain your ricotta cheese by placing it in cheesecloth and squeezing out any excess liquid or moisture. You can also pat it dry with a paper towel if needed.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained ricotta, the cream cheese, heavy cream and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until just combined and creamy. Beat in the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, until mixture is thickened. You may only need one cup of powdered sugar, but add more if necessary.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to set and chill for about 30 minutes. Remove from the fridge once chilled and garnish with chocolate chips. *I recommend spooning the dip into a separate bowl and layering the chocolate chips and dip together, like so: ½ cup dip, then a sprinkling of chocolate chips, repeating until chocolate chips are finished. That way you get chocolate chips in every bite!
- Serve with assorted dipping items like cookies, crackers, pretzels, or fruit. Store leftovers airtight in the fridge.
Silky-smooth and crazy creamy, this sweet and tangy dip will soon become your new favorite! I loved eating it with waffle cookies to complete the authentic cannoli experience, but it was equally delicious with fruit (or let’s be real, on a spoon) 🙂
For more information about California Dairy or the California Milk Advisory Board, be sure to check them out ONLINE! You can also follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest for news, info, recipes & more! And be sure to look for Real California Dairy products featuring the Real or Real California Milk Seal!
I am a proud brand ambassador for the California Milk Advisory Board. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. I was compensated as part of my ambassadorship to write this post.