Despite the fact that I’m still wearing denim shorts and sweating before 9am.
I’m longing for hot cider, apple picking, pumpkin everything and thick-knit sweaters and boots. Maybe if I just start wearing jeans and scarves, the weather will follow?
(Or more than likely, I’ll just suffer heat stroke while I stubbornly cling to my sweaters and cashmere socks). Nothing says ‘fall’ like sweating profusely while sipping your caramel apple spice! *sarcasm*
To help ring in fall, I figured I’d start making some fall-inspired goodies that welcome the color-changing leaves, the breezier weather and the bounty of apples and pumpkins that seem to permeate the air with spiced goodness. Even if I’m still wearing a summer dress with the AC cranked while baking it, it still counts, right? Right?!
At least, I hope it still counts. Because if these Toasted Marshmallow Caramel Butter Pecan Bars don’t count as “fall baking”, I don’t know what does.
Butter pecan is one of those underrated flavors I always seem to overlook, but when I remember it exists, it’s like the angels open up heaven’s gates and sprinkle butter pecans in my mouth so I’m reminded of this heavenly flavor. These bars are jam-packed with all of that sweet, syrupy, butter pecan flavor plus some extra deliciousness thanks to the buttery caramel and the gooey toasted marshmallow topping.
…or maybe that was the heat stroke.
- 1 box butter pecan cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oil
- ⅔ cup sugared or candied pecan pieces
- 1 jar (12.5 oz) caramel sundae sauce
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Grease the foil liberally with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg and oil with a rubber spatula until a soft dough has formed. Stir in ½ (ONE HALF) cup of the sugared pecan pieces. Spread the mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake the butter pecan bars for approx. 15-18 minutes or until the top is lightly golden and the center is no longer jiggly. Immediately pour the jarred caramel sauce over top of the bars and top with the miniature marshmallows and remaining sugared pecan pieces. Return the pan back to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the tops of the marshmallows are just turning brown and toasty.
- Allow the bars to cool to room temperature completely, then allow them to sit at room temperature overnight, or refrigerate them for several hours to set. If you cut into them immediately, the bars will fall apart - they need ample time (preferably overnight) to set up properly.
- Before cutting the bars, wet your knife with water for each cut to help cut through the sticky marshmallows. Cut into bars & serve!
While these bars do need ample time to set up properly (otherwise they’ll be a gooey mess!) they are absolutely worth the wait! Each bite is loaded with that syrupy sweet butter pecan flavor infused throughout, combined with the buttery rich caramel sauce and the toasted, gooey marshmallows that add a great texture to these bars! If you can’t find sugared pecans, consider looking in the ice cream sundae toppings part of the grocery store – often they’re located in a small can near the sundae toppings 🙂
Have a fantastical day!!