If you need to know anything about me, it’s that I love ice cream. Love it.
Like my love for pizza, donuts, and Betsey Johnson dresses, I don’t have a specific type that I have to have. Sure, I have my favorites, but in general I consider myself a pretty equal-opportunity ice cream eater (though don’t tell that to my outspoken favorite, bubblegum).
My other preferences? Spumoni, mocha almond fudge, and Neapolitan. Who doesn’t love the classic combination of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry? It’s iconic! It’s classic! It’s just downright awesome.
So since it’s like 1346837 degrees F here in Sacramento, since I’ve been craving ice cream nightly and since it’s fun, I figured I’d declare this week Neapolitan Week on my blog. It kind of came as a last-minute idea last week while grocery shopping and spotting strawberry cake mix and reminiscing about days when I used to eat strawberry cupcakes all the live long day. And now, voila — it’s a week. You’re welcome.
To kick off Neapolitan Week, I made the chewiest, most scrumptious and ridiculously dense brownie-bars you’ll ever lay your eyeballs on. These are the fudgy sink-your-teeth-into kinda bars that I crave, and they’re tripled-stacked with Neapolitan goodliness, then topped with an irresistible, buttery white chocolate ganache (that looks incredibly drippy since my house is nothing short of 34763572 degrees inside).
And sprinkles, because they make me happy — duh.
Methinks you’re going to find yourself a new favorite ice cream flavor 🙂
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3 sticks (1 & ½ cups) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 pkg (12 oz) white chocolate chips
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 13x9" baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chocolate cake mix, ONE egg and 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter with a spoon until blended and a soft dough has formed. Using greased hands, press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Clean out the bowl with a paper towel.
- Next, prepare the white cake mix with ONE egg and another 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter; stir until combined. Gently press this mixture on top of the chocolate layer with your fingers. Alternatively, you can press the mixture into the palms of your hand and kind of "puzzle piece" it together on top of the chocolate mixture so you're careful not to mix the layers. Clean out the bowl.
- Lastly, prepare the strawberry cake mix with the remaining egg and butter. Repeat the same process, covering the white layer with the strawberry layer. Bake for approx. 30-40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the center appears set. Allow the bars to cool completely.
- Once the bars have cooled, make the ganache: in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the heavy cream and entire package of white chocolate chips. Microwave for 40 seconds, then stir until smooth. Spread evenly over the top of the bars, then immediately top with sprinkles. Allow the bars to set in the fridge for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.
I love these bars! How chewy and dense they are with that delectable fudgy texture; the layers of colors; the fact that you can taste all three flavors (!!); and that irresistible ganache on top that reminds me of drippy vanilla ice cream (and helps the vanilla layer stand out a bit against the chocolate and strawberry). I think these will be a new favorite for you! All that’s missing is the cone 🙂
Have a fantastical day!!