Dating is hard — I get it. There are so many rules, implied and otherwise, that you need to know and master — not to mention the crippling anxiety from meeting a new girl, asking the right questions, not wanting to seem super eager but not acting too stoic. I get it. It’s a fine line.
But here’s a little free unsolicited but trust-me-you-need-it advice for you. Please, for the love of all things holy, heed this advice. Because I’m a girl and I know better. (Not really, but I do know better here, so listen up!)
When it comes to first dates, most are acceptable — but a few are not. Let me break it down for you so there’s no ambiguity.
Acceptable First Dates include: dinner (can be something small, like Chipotle or sushi, or something fancier like Italian); a picnic; coffee; a cafe; ice cream; any other dessert shop; a walk in the park; miniature-golfing; bowling; drinks; light shopping/strolling around mall or outdoor shops; wine-tasting; one of those places where you can drink and paint; etc.
Not Acceptable First Dates include: going to the movies (too impersonal); paint-balling (no); going for a hike (me + you in the middle of nowhere? maybe not for the first date); going away for the weekend (too much); baseball game (too distracting); clubbing (unless you’re a guido, don’t); hanging out with you and your friends (noooooo).
A hike sounds so fun, but I don’t really want to be alone with someone I just met in a secluded area — surely you understand. It’s not that I’m implying you’d murder me and toss my body off of a cliff to be devoured by hungry mountain lions and yetis but.. okay, I am implying that. It’s just that, nowadays serial killers can be so good looking. Have you seen Ted Bundy? He wasn’t exactly some podunk weirdo with a monobrow and gnarly teeth. He was actually quite dapper.. and he also murdered tons of women, sooooo I can’t really say you wouldn’t do the same and make me bear food. It’s not you, it’s me!
And hanging out with your friends would be totally acceptable for maybe a later date. But the first date when I don’t even know you? Knowing me, I’d introduce myself to your insanely-more-attractive best friend and realize he wasn’t my intended date after all. Major awkwardness would ensue. And how about the fact that dudes usually have burping contests and talk about cars and Duck Dynasty? Not my idea of a romantic first date being second fiddle while everyone guzzles PBR and comments on the bartender’s rack.
So in short, guys — I know you guys have the potential in ya — you’re human! So make the most of it by actually thinking out a decent first date and putting it into action. Assuming you’re a decent human with some gentlemanly qualities, we’ll likely want to date you a second, third, fourth, and fifth time — and after that, do all the paint-balling, hiking, friend-beer-drinking-contests and body disposing you want with us. Actually.. not that last part. Unless you’re into that kinda thing. Actually, no. Never do that last part.
Now go get ’em tiger! And uh, boys? If you’re lookin’ to date me, I am very easily bribed with Spumoni Cheesecakes. Just sayin’!
Speaking of which… spumoni. Do you eat it? It’s one of my favorite ice cream flavors even though it’s harder to find and not quite popular. I just cannot resist the irresistible combination of bright cherry, nutty pistachio and creamy chocolate swirled together in every bite. SO dang good! I knew I wanted to make something with this classic Italian-style ice cream flavor, and cheesecake instantly came to mind! And subsequently I cannot get them off of my mind — they’re heavenly!
Commence bribery… now!
- 1 & ½ cups Oreo cookie crumbs, finely ground
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 pkgs (8 ounces each) full-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp full-fat sour cream
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup maraschino cherries, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tsp almond extract, divided
- 1 box pistachio pudding mix
- Green and red liquid food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.. In a small bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and melted butter until moistened. Drop heaping teaspoons of cookie crumbs evenly among each muffin cup. Using your fingers, gently press the crumbs down to form a crust. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and white sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs and sour cream until combined. Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly among two bowls.
- In one bowl, add the flour, chopped maraschino cherries, cherry juice and ONE-HALF (1/2) tsp almond extract and stir to combine; set aside (also, add the red food coloring here if you'd like to intensify the color). In the other bowl, stir in the remaining ½ tsp almond extract and the pistachio pudding mixture until combined (also add the green food coloring here if you'd like to intensify the color).
- Drop a heaping Tablespoonful of pistachio cheesecake into each muffin tin. Top with a heaping Tablespoonful of cherry cheesecake on top. Repeat with remaining cups.
- Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes or until the tops appear set; do not over bake. Cool completely in the pan, then refrigerate for about 2 hours to chill. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a cherry, if you'd like!
A two-toned pistachio and cherry cheesecake with a crunchy, buttery chocolate cookie crust — what’s not to love here?! If you’ve never tried spumoni ice cream, I HIGHLY encourage you to! It’s delicious and easily one of my favorite flavors, and this cheesecake reminds me of the many times ordering spumoni sundaes with tons of buttery caramel on top at our favorite local ice cream shop!
Have a delicious day!