Now that I’m single and being thrown into the dating world like a helpless rag doll, I am seeking advice high and low from anywhere I can get it. I haven’t really had the chance to be in the adult dating world yet, and I’m finding that honestly, it’s not all that it’s cracked out to be thus far.
Who knew there were so many rules?! Not I.
And knowing me, rule-breaker extraordinaire, I don’t take well to people telling me what I can and can’t do in fear I’ll scare someone away.
Um, if just looking at me doesn’t scare them away, I’m pretty sure texting them immediately afterwards won’t. Right? Please say yes.
Cause this whole “feigning disinterest” thing is really not my jam. If I like someone, I want to show them and tell them. That doesn’t mean I start decorating their car with stuffed animals and call them names like ‘pookie’, but it just means that yeah, I’m enthusiastic to text them back and yeah, I do want to hang out this Saturday. What’s the big deeeeeeeal?
And the whole “you can’t text them immediately back” thing is totally not cool. You mean to tell me that I can’t text someone immediately after they text me? What kind of sadist came up with these lame-ass rules? Clearly it was not a woman, as I am all about the immediate response. And also, they must have had the patience of a friggin’ angel, because I am basically punching the keyboard on my phone because I can’t get my reply sent fast enough. Psycho? Maybe. But I’m deffffff not going to wait three hours to respond because no one in real life does that. Do they? Plus, I don’t want him to think whatever he last said to me wasn’t interesting or cool enough for me to reply to, because other people worry about that don’t they? DON”T THEY?
I don’t know, I guess I’m a straight-shootin’ kinda girl who tells it like it is and doesn’t hide who she is. I’ve never been one to conform to the rules of dating or the rules of well, anything, so it’s no surprise that these ‘dating secrets’ are kind of troubling me. Why can’t we all just get coffee tonight at six and talk about our favorite pizza toppings? People still do that, right? Crap, the elementary school game M*A*S*H clearly taught me nothing.
Anywho, straight-shooters don’t like to sugarcoat anything (except actual sugary-coated food-related items), so I’m gonna tell you like it is. These are your normal pumpkin spice cupcakes with a not-so-normal frosting. And they break pleeeeenty of rules, y’all. Pie inside of frosting? Shut up. So fetch.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch nutmeg
- FOR FROSTING:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 (32 oz) bag powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of pumpkin pie spice
- About ⅓ of a prepared pumpkin pie (likewise, you could also use those pumpkin hand pies that are like a dollar at the store, or the Lil Debbie pumpkin "cookies" which are basically pumpkin pies, or miniature pumpkin pies at Trader Joe's), roughly chopped into smallish pieces -- you want around a cup total
- Caramel sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners; set aside. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, pumpkin & spices with an electric mixer and beat until smooth and combined, about 2 minutes.
- Evenly portion the batter among the muffin cups, filling about ¾ths full. Bake for approx. 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, vanilla and heavy cream until light. Gradually add the powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until frosting is light and fluffy. If frosting becomes too thick, add a little more milk at a time.
- Beat in the chopped pie pieces and the spices, just barely folding them in. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag attached either with a very large tip, or just frost by hand (otherwise, the pie pieces will clog your cake tip).
- Top the frosted cupcakes with a drizzle of caramel sauce, and serve.
Immediately after sacrificing a cupcake for this shoot (and obvi eating the results), I was shocked & amazed that my pumpkin-iffy self was SOINLOVE with these incredible cupcakes! The cake itself is springy and moist, packed with all that hearty pumpkin goodness and those pinches of spices flecked within the airy layers. But the frosting is the real star here, boasting all that creamy, spiced pumpkin gooey goodness swirled into that thick, luscious buttercream. And the bits of pie crust add that nice saltiness and texture that complements the sweet, unique frosting so well. My coworkers devoured these cupcakes and are still talking about them weeks later. A true favorite and a fun way to put a spin on traditional pumpkin pie (or use up leftovers!)
Have a delicious day!!