Can you believe I have only had French Silk Pie once before making this?!
I know. Disgraceful on so many levels.
But I have remedied that with this So Easy French Silk Pie recipe. Y’all don’t even know how simple this is. It practically makes itself!
And because I still have some in the fridge, I’m going to keep this short & oh-so sweet.
So this recipe is very adaptable to your different preferences and tastes – one of the reasons why I love it so much. For one, this recipe uses a pre-baked pastry pie crust for that flaky texture and buttery flavor. However, you can totally substitute with a premade graham cracker or Oreo cookie crust to keep it entirely no-bake. In the summertime when it’s scorching outside, you bet your booty I’m making this in a graham crust!
Second – this recipe uses a combination of German chocolate and unsweetened chocolate. I like that mixture because the German chocolate is extra sweet and the unsweetened chocolate really ramps up that cocoa flavor. Combined, it’s just the right amount of sweetness. If you’d like, substitute it with all bittersweet chocolate, all semi-sweet chocolate, or all unsweetened chocolate. I don’t suggest using all German chocolate because I think it’d be too sweet, especially since you add in powdered sugar to the chocolate mixture.
Traditional French Silk Pie has eggs in it, but I was lazy and used cream cheese. This totally replaces that same texture without the fear of eating raw eggs. Score!!
And lastly, please y’all – splurge for real whipped cream. I love Cool Whip, but this tastes so much better with real deal, freshly whipped cream. #Trust. You make up your whipped cream and divide it into two – 3 cups of it goes into the pie filling with the chocolate and cream cheese, and 2 cups of it goes into the whipped cream topping, because duh.
To finish it off and make it look extra divine, I shaved some chocolate onto the top. Likewise, you could always sprinkle it with miniature chocolate chips or dust it lightly with cocoa powder – either one would be super pretty!
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a pie to stick my face into!
*adapted from here
- FOR WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- FOR CHOCOLATE SILK FILLING:
- 2 oz German chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups prepared whipped cream
- FOR TOPPING & CRUST:
- 1 9" deep dish pie crust, pre-baked according to package directions & cooled (to make this no-bake, use a prepared graham cracker or cookie crust)
- 2 cups prepared whipped cream
- Chocolate curls or shavings for garnish
- First, make your whipped cream. In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream and sugar together on HIGH speed for about 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. You should have roughly 5 cups of whipped cream. Divide 2 cups into a pastry bag fixed with a large open star tip or set aside to spread onto the final pie. Set aside.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, add the chopped chocolate and the butter. Microwave on HIGH for about 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave again for another 15-20 seconds or until melted and smooth. Cool for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add in the powdered sugar and beat until combined. Lastly, add in the chocolate, whipping until combined. Fold in 3 cups of the fresh whipped cream.
- Spread the chocolate silk filling into the pie crust evenly and carefully. Pipe or spread the remaining whipped cream onto the pie's surface and garnish with chocolate curls or shavings. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Creamy, chocolaty, rich and light, this French Silk Pie is my new favorite – and will be yours, too!
Have a super sweet day!