Similar to my Lemon Bar Cupcakes, these cupcakes are packed with juicy key lime flavor in every bite! They have a fabulous key lime filling and a thick, luscious key lime pie frosting that’s garnished with little sprinkles of honey graham crackers. Talk about the ultimate Key Lime Pie!
Yep. Exactly what the doctor ordered.
*adapted from my Lemon Bar Cupcakes recipe
- 1 box key lime cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup key lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- 1 can Duncan Hines Key Lime Pie Filling
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- About 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Crushed honey graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with about 18 paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, oil, water, lime zest, and key lime juice and beat with a handheld electric mixer for about 2 minutes or until combined. Portion evenly into the prepared muffin cups, filling about ¾ full. Bake for approx. 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely.
- Using a paring knife or cupcake corer, core the cupcakes, careful not to cut all the way through the bottom of the cake. Discard centers. Fill with the prepared key lime pie filling. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, about ⅓ cup of the key lime pie filling and the vanilla on medium-high for about 2 minutes, or until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting high onto filled cupcakes, careful to cover the filling completely. Garnish with crushed graham crackers. Serve immediately or store leftovers airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Sweet, tart and bursting with key lime flavor, these fruity cupcakes will transport you right to the Florida Keys without ever leaving the house! I love the fresh lime flavor and the filling is such a zingy, perfect surprise to the sweetness of the frosting and lime cake.