Homemade Dole Whips {No Ice Cream Machine Needed!}

Homemade Dole Whips are a light and creamy treat bursting with juicy pineapple and vanilla flavor, served up frozen soft-serve-style. Just like the Disneyland classic, and no ice cream maker required!You guys. These whips. I die.

So last month, I attended the Food Blog Forum in Orlando, FL. It was an awesome and intimate conference that took place at Walt Disney World Resort where we could learn the tricks of the trade, network and mingle with our bloggy friends and awesome brands, and explore Disney World!

And as a Disneyland fan, I was a little skeptical about Disney World. Would itΒ really be that big of a deal? Would it be better than Disneyland? But I quickly realized there is zero comparison. They’re both like, completely different planets but with the same mouse creatures. And they both have Dole Whips.

If you don’t know, a Dole Whip is a pineapple-y vanilla soft-serve cone that Disneyland and World serve up in their Adventureland. You can get ’em standard (that’s a Dole Whip) or get them over pineapple or orange juice (that’s a Dole Float). I had the float, and it was miiiiiighty tasty. But the whip itself? Heaven.

It’s so soft and creamy, bursting with tropical, juicy pineapple and sweet whipped vanilla in every bite. It definitely lives up to the hype – and there’s a huge one – because it’s so freakin’ good. But when I came home to investigate how to make these creamy concoctions at home, I was so bummed that every recipe required an ice cream machine – something my life is severely lacking. But since I’m poor (see: Disney World) yet I wanted to satisfy this burning need for Dole Whips at home in California, I figured I ought to create something pretty darn identical to the original.

And you guys – this is it.Homemade Dole Whips are a light and creamy treat bursting with juicy pineapple and vanilla flavor, served up frozen soft-serve-style. Just like the Disneyland classic, and no ice cream maker required!

Is it as stiff as the original? No, but that’s because it isn’t made from a prepared mix or churned out in a Taylor fro-yo machine. However, it is plenty creamy, freezy, and bursting with pineapple-y vanilla goodness that tastes pretty darn similar to the original Disney creation. Almost like if Dole Whips and the Wendy’s Frosty had a love child, it would be these. A delicious, outrageous love child.

Homemade Dole Whips are a light and creamy treat bursting with juicy pineapple and vanilla flavor, served up frozen soft-serve-style. Just like the Disneyland classic, and no ice cream maker required!Now if you need me, I’ll be knee-deep in Dole Whips (which is exactly where I want to be!)

Homemade Dole Whips are a light and creamy treat bursting with juicy pineapple and vanilla flavor, served up frozen soft-serve-style. Just like the Disneyland classic, and no ice cream maker required!*slightly adapted from HERE

Homemade Dole Whips {No Machine Needed!}
Author:
Recipe type: No Bake Treats
Serves: 2

These guilt-free, homemade Dole Whips are the perfect refreshing treat any time of year! They taste pretty darn identical to the Disney classic and are made without a ticket to Disneyland and without an ice cream machine!
Ingredients
  • 2 cans (20 oz each) Dole Crushed Pineapple
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • Juice of one lime
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 (8 oz) tub Cool Whip Free, frozen
Instructions
  1. In a blender, pour in the cans of crushed pineapple (pineapple and their juice), the sugar, juices of both the lemon and lime, and the vanilla. Blend for about 2 minutes or until completely smooth.
  2. Cut the frozen Cool Whip in quarters and place it in the blender. Blend on high until combined and smooth. Mixture will be thick but still pourable.
  3. Pour the mixture into two Mason jars with the lids off. Place the Mason jars into the freezer and freeze for about 3 hours, or until the mixture is soft and thick, like soft serve. Serve immediately. I find that in my freezer, 3 hours is the perfect amount of time for thick and creamy soft serve-style Dole Whips, but check yours after 2 and experiment with times from the 2-hour mark.

Homemade Dole Whips are a light and creamy treat bursting with juicy pineapple and vanilla flavor, served up frozen soft-serve-style. Just like the Disneyland classic, and no ice cream maker required!Yep. Paradise in a glass, all without the cost of admission to Disney World. Can’t complain about that!

Want to trash this up? Add coconut rum to the mixture and proceed. HELL YEAH.

Want to lighten this up? Use Stevia instead of the sugar and use Cool Whip Free or Sugar-Free Cool Whip for a lighter treat.

Homemade Dole Whips are a light and creamy treat bursting with juicy pineapple and vanilla flavor, served up frozen soft-serve-style. Just like the Disneyland classic, and no ice cream maker required!Have a sweet day!!

Β

Comments

1. What a refreshing dessert that sounds like! I’d love a glass of that right now, with all of this cold and not-so-springy weather πŸ™‚

June – these will totally transport you to tropical weather in your mind πŸ™‚ They’re so refreshing! Thanks, friend! xoxo.

2. Hayley – My mind totally went to the rum even before I read that comment at the end of your post. This is just the tropical goodness that I want at the end of a long, rainy week in New England. I haven’t been to Disney World since I was five. To put that in perspective, they were still building The Tower of Terror. I need to go back, but it so darn expensive. I suppose I’ll just have to enjoy these Dole Whips until I can save my moolah for a trip!

Erin – YES! These (especially boozed up with rum) will transport you away from cold New England rain to a tropical paradise. You don’t even need to put on a bikini; god knows I don’t, ha! Thanks for your sweet comment! xoxo.

3. I’ve never been to Disneyland, but love Disney World! I’ve been there twice in the past couple years but have not had a Dole Whip. Looks like I need to return! And I’m super jealous you got to go to their conference!!! I’ll be trying these soon. Thanks, Hayley!

Julie – I’m hoping to meet you at a conference one of these days… preferably at a Disney one so I can introduce you to the legendary Dole Whips! But in the meantime, this is your ticket to Disney without ever leaving your home! πŸ™‚

4. I’m not a big Disney fan (OK OK don’t kill me!) but I have been SO intrigued by these! I keep seeing folks post them when they go to Disney and they sound so DELICIOUS! Maybe I can avoid having to go to Disney if I just make your version at home?? πŸ˜‰

SaraLily – okay, I totally forgive you. I love Disneyland, but I’m not one of those people who like, buys a ton of sweatshirts and sings the sing-a-longs and stuff. I just like the rides πŸ˜€ And this will totally mimic being at Disneyland, minus all the crowds and charging $6 for a float!

5. No machine needed are the right words for Friday! Gosh I love dole whips and had a few too many at food blog forum. Now I can continue paradise in my living room!! These look amazing.

6. I made a recipe simular to this once and it was outstanding! I am pretty sure it used ice cream though so I would love to try this version with cool whip. I kind of just want to go to Disney to try all of their famous recipes! Is that so wrong?! Haha

Katelyn, not wrong at all! I totally would go to Disneyland just for the treats. Hello, besides the rides, that’s the best part!

7. Girl these are awesome! You know I love anything disney πŸ™‚ Dole Whips are my fave and now I can make them at home!

8. Girl!!!! You know I am so trying this!!! Looks amazing πŸ™‚ xo

9. No machine needed to make something so fluffy and delicious? Count me in. Liking this a lot!

10. This will be making an appearance in my kitchen this weekend! Looks amazing!

11. Back in college, I had a Disneyland pass, and as I would eat my way through the park, I always–always–had to stop for Dole Whips! They were life. I can’t wait to try this amazing Magic Kingdom/Wendy’s love child because OMG I can’t even. It looks amazing!

12. Back in college, when I had a Disneyland pass, as I would eat my way through the park, I always–always–had to stop for Dole Whips! They were life. I cannot wait to try this Magic Kingdom’s/Wendy’s love child because OMG I can’t even. It looks incredible!

Thanks so much Michelle! Every time I visit Disneyland I ALWAYS eat my way through the park, too! Too many yummy goodies to pass up! πŸ™‚

13. This looks so delicious! Never have I tasted it before, so totally looking forward to making this!

14. With all the times I’ve been to WDW, I’ve never had a Dole Whip! I’m so glad I can make one at home—now if only spring would arrive!!!

Liz – spring has passed in CA; we are totally in summer mode! πŸ™ but for you, I’m totally wishing for spring. These Dole Whips help usher it in! πŸ™‚

15. great job! so pretty and tropical!!

and I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!

16. Love that this doesn’t require an ice cream maker!! I don’t have one either and I’m always bummed when I see delicious ice cream recipes and scroll to the directions and “womp, womp” ice cream maker required…so I’m so excited about this!!! I wasn’t able to ever get to try one of these a Dole Whips last time I was at Disney so I can’t wait to try this at home and see what I’m missing!! And such a fab idea to use the frozen cool whip! πŸ™‚

Right?! I feel the same way when I see a recipe that requires a machine. Such a bummer! This, however, doesn’t and it’s so awesome! πŸ™‚ Thanks for your sweet comment, Stephanie!

17. I’m wiping the drool as I scroll through your post…and seriously wishing we had a vacation to Disney World planned this year!! But at least I can make this at home…thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much, Martha! I totally wish I was headed back to Orlando again this year, but these Dole Whips will hold me off until I can buy some tickets πŸ™‚ Have a great weekend! xoxo.

18. I think I would add in some rum or vodka in the mixture…

19. This is great.
    Very refreshing desert!

20. Whenever we go to Hawaii, my husband will drive to the Dole plantation 2 or 3 times a day, just for Dole Whip. I am so gonna try this recipe.
    BTW – I’d print out, frame and hang these photos is my kitchen, with your permission!

Libby, you’re too sweet! Thank you so much! And I cannot imagine how amazing a fresh-from-the-plantation Dole Whip must be! Heaven I’m sure πŸ™‚

21. I can’t recall whether or not I’ve ever had a Dole Whip, which is insanely weird, considering I grew up less than an hour from Disney World. And I may be one of the few people on the planet who has little desire to go to Disney World, which means no Dole Whip from Disney but who needs one from Disney when they can make THIS one easily at home?! Love this and totally want to be sipping on one right now!

Julie – that’s okay! A lot of people don’t know about the Dole Whips since they’re only found in one spot in the parks. I don’t blame ya (or hold it against you) if you’ve never had one! πŸ˜‰ These are easier to make at home, anyway. Happy Sunday! xo.

22. I just wanted to point out that a blender is a machine… so the “No Machine needed” part is a slight fallacy.

At any rate, thank you for this post, they look awesome and I’m definitely going to try it myself, with my blender… and maybe some coconut rum ^_^

Cheers!

Ha, you’re totally right! It must have skipped my mind – fixing that now! And coconut rum would be awesome with this πŸ™‚

23. And just like that, you’ve made the world a better place!
    You have a habit of doing that, ya know… πŸ˜‰

24. How did we miss meeting at FBF?! These look divine and I’m glad you were able to adapt it for no machine. You’ve got me wanting a big glass of this right now!

Thanks so much, Heather! Bummer we didn’t get a chance to connect! Hopefully next time πŸ˜€

25. Just back from WDW and did a Google search for homemade Dole Whips. I now have everything on my grocery list so I can try this. LOVE Dole Whips!

Karen – I’m so excited for you to try this recipe! It’s super delicious πŸ™‚ Enjoy!!

26. Ximagineer says:

Can you please clarify something for a newbie like me? In Step 3, you write “Pour the mixture into two Mason jars with the lids off. Place the Mason jars into the freezer and freeze for about 3 hours,”

So my question is this: Do I leave the lids off when I put the jars in the freezer?

Thanks!

27. this is very good.my family and i loved it. i have never tasted one before but it looked good. had to try. i did have some issues with no fault to the recipe (my mistakes). i didnt have any lemons or limes so i used bottled juice. i think i used too much as it was a little sour so i just added more cool whip. my blender was also too small. next time i will make half at a time. definitely will make again. next time with some rum. thank you for sharing this.

Heidi – I LOVE your idea of adding rum! So delicious! So glad you and your family enjoyed these!

28. Sandra Stephens says:

What if….instead of using the whipped cream…..you did a swing through MrDonalds, ect and then quickly sprinted home and used that in place of straight up whipped cream. Maybe 1/2 whipped cream and half soft serve ice cream. Just seems like all that whipped cream would have just a whipped cream texture. I’ve had pineapple whips at disney and I remember them being heavier then light weight whipped cream. Maybe my memory is too old.

29. OMG! Thank you! Thank you! Love Dole Whips and thanks to you, can make them myself. Everything is right with the world.

30. Are the cool whip measurements by weight or volume. I would prefer to try with real whipped cream instead of cool whip. Will the real cream substitute ok?

I use by weight (8 ounce tub). If you want to make it with real whipped cream (yum!), just whip 1-1 & 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream which should yield about 2-3 cups, a rough equivalent of the Cool Whip.

31. Ok, this was good! But I would also like to share my version in case anyone is willing to try it! It is lower calories and dairy free. I don’t actually measure anything when I cook, so I am approximating, but with smoothies I doubt one needs to be exact.
    In a blender add about 2 cups fresh or frozen pineapple chunks , about 1 cup pineapple juice (sometimes I use whatever juice is in the fridge if you are ok with other flavors, ie orange, lemonade) , 5 ice cubes (the more ice, the thicker the smoothie), 1 Tbs egg white powder (in Vancouver you can buy at Galloways). Blend until smooth. Add a squeeze of honey if you like it sweeter. The eggwhite powder is a must! It makes it frothy and smooth and is the secret ingredient in an orange julius, shhhhhhhhhh!

Ooh, that sounds great, Christina! We have meringue powder here in the US which I’m assuming is an equivalent to the egg white powder in Canada. Thanks for your recommendation!