The BEST Banana Bread

This Banana Bread truly is the BEST!! Supremely moist, fluffy, soft and has great texture with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel on top. The secret ingredient makes it extra delicious! This is the ONLY recipe you need! Bananas are one of those love-it-or-hate-it fruits, and I happen to love it.

However.. I only like bananas if they’re a certain texture and ripeness.

Those bananas that are just a little too spotty and are softer are no bueno.  They make the mashiest noises when you eat them, and those mashy noises are basically the fruit-eating version of nails on a chalkboard.  But bananas that are bright yellow with nary a spot in sight are just perfect.  I love slicing them up on yogurt parfaits, eating them plain, chocolate dipping them, or throwing them into smoothies.

But did you know that the darker the banana, the better the bread?  Not only are darker bananas easier to mash (they’re virtually mashed as you peel them!) but they have more sweetness and are absolutely perfect for baking banana bread.  So as much as I hate it, I usually let my bananas get spotty and dark brown before I mash ’em up and toss them in this banana bread.  Which, by the way, is the best.  No, seriously.

This Banana Bread truly is the BEST!! Supremely moist, fluffy, soft and has great texture with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel on top. The secret ingredient makes it extra delicious! This is the ONLY recipe you need! Most bananas breads I’ve tried are way too crumbly and dry, which is basically a disgrace to carbohydrate-y products everywhere.  Carbs should be soft and tender, not crumble at the mere touch.  That, or the banana flavor isn’t really there.  Or the bread isn’t spiced well, giving kind of a bland flavor and texture.  I guess you could say I’m well versed in eating terrible banana breads.  I consider it a life’s accomplishment.

But this banana bread is super soft and tender, moist without being wet, and definitely far from dry & crumbly.  It’s perfectly spiced with cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg, is jam-packed with fresh, sweet banana flavor, and is topped with an irresistible, crunchy brown sugar & cinnamon crust that lends a crispy crunch to every bite.  And it has my secret ingredient: pudding!  Yep, instant pudding mix is tossed into the batter to give this an extra sweetness, extra moisture, and great texture.  Scouts honor — you will insist on tossing in a box of pudding mix in your quick breads from now on!  The result is tremendous 🙂 If nuts are your jam, feel free to toss in some chopped walnuts or pecans for added crunch and texture.  Or if you prefer it glazed or frosted, omit the brown sugar topping for a thick helping of cream cheese frosting.

This Banana Bread truly is the BEST!! Supremely moist, fluffy, soft and has great texture with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel on top. The secret ingredient makes it extra delicious! This is the ONLY recipe you need! No matter your preference, you MUST make this bread!  I promise, it’ll be your new favorite in no time!

This Banana Bread truly is the BEST!! Supremely moist, fluffy, soft and has great texture with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel on top. The secret ingredient makes it extra delicious! This is the ONLY recipe you need! *slightly adapted from Sally

The BEST Banana Bread
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cook time:
Serves: 6-8
If you're tired of eating crumbly, dry, flavorless banana bread, you're in luck: this recipe is bursting with fresh bananas, is swirled with bits of cinnamon and is topped with the most irresistible brown sugar crust. A soon-to-be family favorite!
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 & ¼ cups brown sugar, divided
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ cup Greek yogurt (I use banana flavor, but plain or vanilla would work)
  • 2 cups mashed banana (about 3-4 small/medium bananas)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp cinnamon, divided
  • Pinch nutmeg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 box instant vanilla or banana pudding mix (just the dry mix)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally spray a 9" loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the butter and ¾ cup of the brown sugar until blended. Whisk in the eggs, yogurt, banana and vanilla until combined. Lastly, add 1 tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, baking soda, salt and pudding mix, careful not to overmix. Your batter may be thick and clumpy, but that's okay. Overmixing will lead to tough bread!
  3. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the remaining brown sugar and cinnamon with a spoon until combined. Liberally sprinkle the mixture on top of the banana bread, patting it down if necessary.
  4. Bake the bread for 30 minutes, then tent the bread with foil (which helps prevent the crust from burning and top + sides from cooking too quickly) very loosely. Continue baking for an additional 30 minutes.
  5. Allow the bread to cool completely before cutting into slices.

This Banana Bread truly is the BEST!! Supremely moist, fluffy, soft and has great texture with a cinnamon brown sugar streusel on top. The secret ingredient makes it extra delicious! This is the ONLY recipe you need! I really, really LOVE that this recipe uses pudding mix.  Pudding is my secret ingredient in all of my cakes because of the awesome, fluffy texture and soft, moist crumb it gives baked goods.  Pudding does the same thing in this bread recipe and eliminates the possibility of tough, dry bread.  I like using banana flavored pudding, but French vanilla would work well, too, or butterscotch if you’re feeling feisty 🙂 again, feel free to add chopped nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips to the batter, or omit the crusty top in favor of a simple glaze or thick icing.  It’s completely customizable to your preferences, but I happen to love the thick, crunchy, sugary crust from the brown sugar and cinnamon.

Have a fantastical day!!

1. I WILLLLL try this one! YUMMMMM!

2. Hi, can you recommend me a brand of pudding mix?.Thanks

3. Quick question! Do you use the 3.4oz or the 1.0oz of pudding mix?

Looks incredible! Thanks Hayley!

4. I freaking love banana bread. Yours looks absolutely perfect!!!

5. i swear i have about fifty different banana bread recipes but i definitely have to try this recipe.. looks delicious and so moist!

6. I’m pretty sure this is the absolute epitome of banana bread perfection!

7. Can you substitute the Greek yogurt? It’s the only thing I don’t have on hand and I would love to make this, it sounds delicious!

8. Uhmmmmmmmmm this looks amazing!!

9. I love banana bread. It’s the perfect any time snack. Love that you use greek yogurt!

10. Can i sub something else for the butter? Margarine or applesauce perhaps?

11. I like my bananas a little on the green side for eating, but completely spotty and brown for baking! It definitely makes for amazing bread like this!! I want to jump through my screen and consume ever last crumb! Pinned!

12. I had some bananas that were about to go bad and I found this recipe on Pinterest so I made it today. It is definitely THE BEST banana bread that I have ever made, and maybe the best I’ve ever tasted! Thanks so much for the recipe!

13. Kelly Potter says:

I have tried many banana bread recipes and I have finally found the one I will stick with, this is by far the best recipe! My 16 year old son agrees, and he is picky! I used regular vanilla yogurt and didn’t have any nutmeg and it was still delicious. The top crust really added to the flavor, but next time I will try it without the tinfoil tent, it was not quite cooked enough on the top. Again, I will stick with this recipe from now on, absolutely delicious!!!

Kelly, you don’t know how happy your comment made me! I am so thrilled to hear you love this recipe — it’s truly my favorite by far and the one that gets consistently rave reviews! The pinch of nutmeg is just to add a little extra depth of flavor but totally isn’t necessary and the regular yogurt will still make this bread perfectly moist. Thanks for your comment!! xo.

14. I just found this recipe and I am so excited to make it! I plan on making extra to hand out to friends and neighbors this upcoming holiday season. What size pudding box do you use, and can I sub partial whole wheat flour? Thanks!!!!

Hi Kelly! I haven’t tried it with whole wheat flour, but I’m sure you could get away with a partial sub – it may make it a chewier texture, as whole wheat tends to lend more of a chew to its food, but I think it’d be delish! As far as pudding goes, the small box (3.4 oz I believe) is perfect!

15. Will Jell-O cook & serve banana cream pudding work?
    I’m going to try your recipe today…

Hi there! I haven’t tried using cook & serve, but I know the instant works. I would imagine the cook & serve would be just fine, though. Best of luck and enjoy! xo.

16. Just made this. Hands down the best banana bread I’ve ever had and I made it gluten free!

17. Cynnamama, did the cook and serve pudding work as well?

18. I’m baking this right now and I’m so excited to see how it turns out. I had to go with sour cream because we don’t have plain Greek yogurt, and I only had a large Jello instant vanilla pudding. Hopefully that doesn’t suck too much of the moisture out of the bread!

Rebecca, I hope it turned out fab! The sour cream should have been just fine 🙂 It’s a great sub for greek yogurt!

19. Do you think these will turn out in muffin tins?! Can’t wait to try this recipe tonight thx for sharing 😀

20. Hello, I will be trying this recipe some time this week. Is there another sub for the pudding or could I not use it , will the bread still come out the same way?

Hi KayBee! Sorry for the delay in reply, doll! You could totally leave the pudding out if you don’t have it. I like that the pudding adds a little extra moisture to the bread, but with everything else I’m pretty sure the bread will still be moist and delicious 🙂

21. That was awesome. I made this cake for my friends and and after I tasted it I almost wated to keep it whole for myself. But refrained and they liked it so much. Today or tomorrow I’m going to bake it again. Really brilliant recipe. Cheers.

22. Stephanie says:

This looks great!
    I’ve been searching the internet for 1000 years to find a recipe for bananabread that didn’t have any nuts, milk or eggs. This one looks great but my question: can I use something else instead of the eggs? If so, you are my hero!

Hi Stephanie! Okay, note that I have not tried this myself but I found some substitution options on this website that may work (and should, because I feel like I’ve made similar subs before in other recipes). For each egg, replace with 1/4 cup soy yogurt, OR 1/4 cup water for each egg replaced. I hope that helps and I really hope it works!

23. great bread but what did I do wrong?! It was nowhere near done at 60 minutes!

Hi Morgan! I’m so sorry your bread took longer than anticipated. My only guess would be that your oven may be calibrated differently than mine. Yours may run cooler at 350 than mine does, thus taking longer. In my oven at 350 degrees F, it takes my bread roughly 60 minutes to bake properly, but that may translate to a little longer for you. So sorry for the issue, but glad you liked the bread!

24. Just made this tonight….mine turned out dry and not sweet. Not sure what I did wrong 🙁

Hey Ashley – so sorry you had issues with yours! Without having been there, it’s hard for me to diagnose what exactly went wrong, but maybe you didn’t have enough pudding mix? The pudding helps make this sweet and moist. Sorry about the issue!

25. This is the best banana bread I have ever made! Thank you for the fantastic recipe! Everybody loves it 🙂

26. Ok, so I made this today, not sure what I did wrong but after mixing everything and putting in a bread pan it was a bit full but enough room for the topping but after baking for about 10-15min I checked in it and so much of the batter overflowed all over my oven. I put a baking sheet under the pan to catch any more overflow. I followed the recipe and used a large bread pan. Anyways the bread was good very moist and light not dense, I used sour cream instead of Greek yogurt and tasted fine. I will definitely make again but will use two bread pans next time. Thanks for a great bread.

Billie – I’m sorry you had some overflow! But at least the bread tasted good 🙂 Thanks for your feedback!

27. Don’t usually post things, but had to for this. So there were many recipes on Pintrest claiming to be the Best Banana Bread recipe, but decided yours sounded right up my alley. Made it and have to say this fits the bill, only lasted a few hours before it was devoured. Loved it and my daughter told me that if I make it again, I might as well make 2 loaves so it lasts a little longer!

Sherri – I am SO glad you loved this recipe! It’s truly the best in my humble opinion 🙂 and I think the secret pudding ingredient makes the bread extra perfect. Making two loaves sounds great!

• Baked this just now. I could not wait until it was compleeeetely cool; the aroma was too tempting! This is delicious banana bread!

28. Definitely one of the tastiest banana breads I’ve ever made. I had to adjust the time (since my oven runs cooler than OP’s), but it was very creative and perfectly sweet. The second attempt is going to turn out just right once I get this timing down. Thank you, ma’am!

Yay, so glad you loved it Meredith!

• Just to say how the end of that story turned out, I brought it with me to work when a bunch of us were stuck flying on a Sunday, and everyone loved it. My office chief said it reminded him off his grandmother’s banana bread and took two pieces.

It took about 2 hours in the toaster oven (because I live in Japan, and they don’t do American ovens out here), so if that’s what you’ve got to work with, just expect it to take a while.

Thank you, ma’am!

I’m so glad everyone loved it and that it reminded your office chief of his grandmother’s banana bread. And good to know that it takes two hours in a toasted oven!

29. I am making this bread now and so far I have had to cook mine longer then 1 hour and I did not put the topping on. I finally took it out after 1 1/2 hours of cooking. I really hope it is done and good. Did anyone else have this problem? I will let you know if it is cooked and good after it cools.

Hi Kim! Sometimes mine takes a little longer to cook, too. Your oven may be cooler, too. I’m sure it’ll be great!

30. I have never commented on a recipe thread…EVER! But I had to on this one. One of my co-workers requested I make him Banana Bread for his birthday. I was about to die because I don’t bake. Well, I made your recipe and I think it was gone in about 5 minutes. Unbelievably amazing!!! Props to you. I will be making this again. I did have to cook mine longer too, but I’m not used to this oven. It was perfection to say the least. Thank you!!

31. I was in the of bringing banana bread to Thanksgiving dinner and I have never made it before….I was nervous to say the least. I saw this recipe on Pinterest and EVERYONE loved it…they loved the crumble…the moistness…the flavor…I had to bake mine a t longer but I have a very old unreliable oven…very easy to make and oh o delicious!!! Thanks for this recipe

32. gandolina says:

Light or dark brown sugar????
    I’m guessing you used light from looking at the pictures.
    I’m going to be adding chopped toasted walnuts and some grated orange peel.

33. Did you use salted or unsalted butter?

34. Hi, I want to make this but I’m not sure if your recipe calls for the big or small pack of pudding mix. Which one?

35. Melissa Little says:

This is THE BEST banana bread I have ever had/made. I added chopped walnuts in it and left out the topping. I will definitely be making this again! And again….and again!

36. I just made this and it is incredible. Your title is apt this is actually the best banana bread I’ve ever had. Thank you for sharing!

37. Eating this now, oh my. So good!! Thank you. I only made 3 changes, I only used 1/2 cup of coconut sugar in the bread, added a large handful of chopped walnuts, and just sprinkled the top with a little coconut sugar, no cinnamon. I messed up and put the 2 tsp in the batter and thought more cinnamon would be too much. It is such an awesome, dense bread, hubby loves it.

• Forgot, I had to substitute Coconut Creme pudding , that was all I had. Thanks again. We will be lucky if the loaf makes it through the night, NO joke!!

Awesome! So glad you loved it, Laura! xoxo!

38. This banana bread is surely my new favorite I made it tonight it is so delicious and moist and flavorful I will definitely be making this over and over again I am so thankful for this wonderful recipe

39. Quick question, I’m thinking of making this for my boyfriend who’s deployed. How long does it keep? I’m worried it might go bad on the way..

Hmm.. good question! I have never shipped this bread and frankly, don’t know how long it’d keep since it lasts only one day at my house! 🙂 If you froze it and packed it with dry ice or ice packs and sent it as fast as possible to him, I’m sure it’d be okay!

40. I should probably delete, un-pin, and tear up all of my other banana bread recipes–have made this several times and IT IS THE ONE according to my family!

41. I give it an A. It was delicious! Thanks

42. Natalie says:

This is the best banana bread! I put a little bit of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips in mine – YUM! When your bananas start to turn , just put them in the freezer to use in banana bread later. While getting out all your ingredients to make the bread, thaw out the bananas and peel them. No wasted bananas and delicious banana bread!

43. Sarah Durham says:

Can you split this recipe into two smaller pans? If so, how long do I cook them for?

Sure! I would suggest checking after 30 minutes with no foil. Test for doneness with a cake tester or toothpick. If it’s not done after 30 minutes, I’d check every 5-7 minutes thereafter until done. This is assuming that you’re using a pan only slightly smaller. Those individual loaf pans would take significantly less time! 🙂

44. I’ve made this on 4 different occasions. I add pecans. And try to stick with 4 bananas. And I can squeeze out 2 pans. They aren’t as high as it can be, but I make it stretch because so many people love this. I have received nothing but compliments & it never lasts more than 2 days in our house. It truly is the best banana bread ever! Thanks for the recipe!

45. I’m so obsessed with your recipes! When I need to make something decadent and large batch, I come to you! <3

46. Oh, my gosh, this bread needs to be in my kitchen very soon. This is what I’ve been saving my bananas for!!!

47. Looks wonderful!

48. Waynette Miles says:

I like pumpkin bread, this recipe could probably be used with canned pumpkin, couldn’t it?

49. What size box of pudding?

50. Has anyone tried this in bundt pan? If so, I would love to know recommended temp/cooking time? Thank you and can’t wait to try this recipe!

Hi Sunny, it would probably be a really small bundt cake since this recipe fits perfectly into an 8 or 9″ loaf pan.

51. Hi! I just made this, and it was so good, everyone here loved it! but I wondered if you could clarify the measurements for the topping? I did’t have enough, so I know I messed up somewhere!! It was still good though! I’m making it again this weekend, I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!

52. Hello! 🙂 I have a quick question. So in the ingredients, there’s 1 and 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and you use 3/4 cup of brown sugar with the butter, so it means there are 2/4 cup of brown sugar left, which is used for the sprinkling on top. Am I correct? I just thought that 2/4 cup is quite a lot for the sprinkling on top… I’m just afraid to mess it up and that’s why I’m asking. I would love for your clarification? Thank you in advance 🙂

Hi Anna, the recipe is correct – you use 3/4 cup of brown sugar in the bread batter, but then sprinkle only 1/2 cup on top of the bread. Hope this helps!

53. I found this recipe on Pinterest and had to try it! While it was very moist and delicious, I would recommend splitting it into 2 loaf pans. It was a great deal of batter in one pan and even after an hour and a half in the oven, it was still not done through the middle. Definitely worth another try and very yummy though! Thanks for the recipe.

54. I have baked many banana breads over the years and this is the best! I have baked this in a loaf pan, in mini loaf pans and muffin tins. Everyone I give this to loves it. Thank you Hayley for a great recipe!