Like, majorly hate it.
I hate it because Mannie is so scared of the fireworks. He paces the house, he cowers in the corner, and he barks incessantly. If you’re new here, Mannie is my three-legged dog who lost his leg to a gunshot, so it’s no surprise that he hates the fireworks.
We’ve given him sedatives in the past but man, it really only tempers his behavior slightly – nothing major or too significant. And we’re always home with him, so we can assuage the confusion and fright right outta him. But damn, he just really hates it.
And I realized last night as I had the police station on speed dial, that I am a total Fourth of July Grinch.
I hate the holiday. I hate the people who like the holiday. I hate the fireworks stands – when I see them, I audibly groan and my body breaks out in angry hives. I hate the little kids who start fireworks early, and I hate the people who wait until it’s super late and I’m tired from binge-watching Orange is the New Black and I like, needsleepnow.
I’m such a Grinch that I actually did call the cops because I swore our neighborhood had a noise ordinance set and it totally doesn’t (but totally should) and honestly because I was sick of hearing Mannie bark in the corner. Sue me.
So yeah, take that Fourth of July. I really stuck it to the man.
But whatever. Let’s talk about this cake – it’s more important anyway.
This Butter Cake truly is the best. My family and I could not stop eating it. We were seriously shoveling in forkfuls of the stuff when I deemed it up for grabs. And photographing it, I couldn’t wait to dig in for the end shot. Holy mother. It was rough, but someone had to eat it.
I had this cake bookmarked from All Recipes for awhile now and I’m so glad I finally got around to making it. And I hope YOU get around to making it soon, too!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Liberally grease and flour a large bundt pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until blended. Add in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Add in the salt, baking powder, and baking soda, then add the flour and buttermilk, alternating after each addition until a thick batter has formed.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for approx. 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for about 15 minutes.
- While cake partially cools, make the butter sauce. In a small saucepan, combine all the butter sauce ingredients. Heat until bubbles just begin to show up around the edges of the pan. Remove from heat. Poke holes all over the surface of the cake and down into the cake, careful not to puncture all the way through. Pour the butter sauce evenly over the top of the cake and allow the cake to cool completely in the pan, allowing the butter sauce to set.
- Once cake has completely cooled, invert onto a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar.
This is so sweet, buttery, moist, and utterly delicious. Try not to faint when you take a bite!
Have a super sweet day!