Salted Caramel Butter Bars

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars are packed with buttery goodness! Thick and chewy, they're topped with a butter-cookie streusel and filled with rich, melt-in-your-mouth salted caramel. The best bar recipe!Not sure if you guys have started Christmas shopping or not, but if you live anywhere near a Target, Walmart, or shopping mall, you’re probably well aware that parking and traffic are atrocious.

Perhaps it’s because I’ve been possessed by some kind of sadistic shopping demon, but I’ve been to the mall three times in three days. Seriously, I don’t even know why I ended up there three days in a row, but each time, I cursed myself over my decision as I drove through the parking lot desperately seeking an empty space to no avail.

First, you get those people who exit the store and head down your aisle, only to weave through your aisle to get to another one where they’re parked. Um, HELLO, rude much? So I race to get to the next aisle over but am beat by another car and I just kinda lose it.

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars are packed with buttery goodness! Thick and chewy, they're topped with a butter-cookie streusel and filled with rich, melt-in-your-mouth salted caramel. The best bar recipe!Then, you get the bag dropper-offers. Look, I understand completely. I, too, have carried heavy bags that were seconds away from making me a double amputee. I know that sometimes you just gotta drop that junk in the trunk and continue your shopping adventure. BUT. When I’ve been circling the parking lot unsuccessfully for 20 minutes and I’m having Auntie Anne’s withdrawals, I kind of want to dropkick those bag dropper offers in the face for taunting me.

And is it just me, or does anyone else get bitter when they aren’t followed to their car? Like, I spent twenty-minutes trying to find a parking spot that wasn’t 72 miles away and when I finally leave, no one’s waiting for me to pull out? No one’s following me to my car? No one’s asking me where I parked? Nothing? I just pull out and the world continues moving? Seriously, what gives? It’s only fair that others suffer in this parking nightmare, too, right? RIGHT?! Don’t answer that.

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars are packed with buttery goodness! Thick and chewy, they're topped with a butter-cookie streusel and filled with rich, melt-in-your-mouth salted caramel. The best bar recipe!So while you’re driving in circles around the parking lot, you’re probably going to need some sustenance. I highly recommend these Salted Caramel Butter Bars since they’re extremely delicious and make parking-space-seeking bearable… or as bearable as it can get when you’re behind that dude that parks in the middle of the aisle just waiting for anyone to pull out. I hate that guy.

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars are packed with buttery goodness! Thick and chewy, they're topped with a butter-cookie streusel and filled with rich, melt-in-your-mouth salted caramel. The best bar recipe!*slightly adapted from The Recipe Critic’s recipe

Salted Caramel Butter Bars
Author:
Recipe type: Bars
Cook time:
Serves: 24

Buttery, soft crumb bars filled with salted caramel! I dare you to stop at one bite.. it's irresistible!
Ingredients
  • 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 & ½ cups powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp
  • 1 (11.5 oz) jar salted caramel sauce (I like Smuckers Brand Simple Delights, but Trader Joe's Fleur de Sel is great, too!)
  • Sea salt
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Lastly, beat in the four (4) cups of flour until a soft dough has formed. Press HALF of the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Refrigerate the remaining dough.
  3. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven but keep the oven on. In a small bowl, combine the caramel sauce and remaining 2 Tbsp flour until blended. Pour the caramel mixture evenly into the crust, then crumble the remaining dough on top to cover the caramel layer. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt, and remember that there's salt in the caramel sauce, too 🙂
  4. Return to the oven and continue baking for an additional 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and the caramel is bubbly. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

These Salted Caramel Butter Bars are packed with buttery goodness! Thick and chewy, they're topped with a butter-cookie streusel and filled with rich, melt-in-your-mouth salted caramel. The best bar recipe!I’ve made this recipe three times so far and every time my family and I fight for a piece! They are so rich and buttery, complete with that soft and tender sugar cookie crumb and the golden, decadent caramel layer. If you can’t find salted caramel sauce, or just want to cut back on the salt, feel free to use a regular caramel sauce (or make your own caramel!) and sprinkle a little more sea salt on top.

Love Salted Caramel? (Hey, me too!) Check out these other fantastic salted caramel recipes!

SaltedCaramelPecanSalted Caramel Pecan Pie Bars

saltedcaramelChocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes

deepdishapplepieDeep Dish Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Have a fantastical day!

Comments

1. I made caramel bars once and they vanished so quickly, they are sooo good!

2. I can’t be left alone in Target. I will spend an entire paycheck and then be grumpy for the rest of that time where I have no money. >_< I should just stay home and make these awesome buttery bars instead! They would be great around the holidays for sure! 😀

Target is AWESOME for stealing your paycheck and then some, especially around the holidays! All those cutesy home decor holiday trinkets.. and adorable wrapping paper.. and oh, what about those dish towels? Soon, you’re broke. I FEEL ya.

3. I need these in my belly right meow.

4. It’s already atrocious out there. I have to go back to the mall and I’d rather donate an eyeball.

Right? I can’t handle the parking – it’s the worst! Thankfully I don’t have to bear the typically popular stores like Disney Store, or else I’d probably faint. I feel bad for you 🙁

5. Rich, salty-sweet, and buttery bars???? YUM YUM YUM!

6. These sound so good! You’re giving me all kinds of great ideas for the upcoming holidays. And yes, parking is the bane of this time of year…along with the crowds which, of course, go hand in hand. Put on some good music and go to your happy place while you search. Good luck!

7. I make my own salted carmel…no need to go to target..then com home wtih a empty bank account

8. OMG these look fab – they are going on my “Must make soon” list!

9. I attempted to make these and the end product was drowning in about an inch of butter. Unfortunately they were unsalvageable. Any idea what went wrong?

Hi Kylee! I’m so sorry they didn’t turn out for you. The bars themselves are very buttery but should hold their shape. I’m sorry to say that without being there, I can’t really tell you what could have gone wrong. My suggestions just in case: always use softened, not melted butter. Melted butter causes cookies and bars to spread and they may not have properly set up because the dough could have been too liquidy. Otherwise, I’m sorry I can’t be further help!

• Mine had the same fate, and also crunched up like a toffee. Perhaps because I am at high altitude? I used softened butter, not melted, and the Trader Joe’s caramel. Mine are salvageable, we’re crumbling them up and serving over ice cream. But MAN are they RICH! and I really like rich foods.

Hi Jady! I’m so sorry yours had a similar fate. I will be retesting the recipe to ensure it isn’t an issue on my end. Glad you made the best and crumbled them on ice cream — yum!

• Trying it again today, using less butter and more flour, I’ll let you know. (The dummies at work totally believed me when I said I “Meant To” make Salted Caramel Toffee! haha! They ate it up!)

10. They came out perfectly on the second try. I wonder if I messed up some measurements the first time? Anyhow AMAZING RECIPE!

Jady, that makes me so happy to hear! Enjoy them!! xoxo.

• I too had the same problem with way too much butter. Only the outer edges actually crisped to the point you could treat them like little cookie bars. The entire inside was a soogy, limp mess. A tasty mess, but still unusable. No idea what happened. I followed the instructions carefully. When I first pre-baked the bottom crust I had to give it an extra 10 mins. It was practically sloshing around the baking dish. Curious if you have had any other respondents with the same problem, and if the reason has been figured out yet. They are delicious though.

11. Hi. I don’t have a stand mixer. Will this work with a hand mixer? I really want to eat these! Thanks.

Jen – absolutely! It may take you a little longer to bring the dough together but it will work. My advice is to use a very large, deep bowl to make the dough if you’ve got one! 🙂

12. Actually, I hate it when people DO follow me to my car! I make it a point NOT to do that to others. Anyway, your bars lookmsuper awesome!

13. I made these for the first time and my son and I thought they tasted a little too floury. He said he tasted more flour than caramel and I followed your directions to a ‘t’. Any thoughts ? They look wonderful though!

Hey Marti! Without having been there, it’s hard for me to deduce what went wrong. My only thought would be the flour wasn’t thoroughly mixed in. Other than that, I’m sorry they tasted floury to you guys!

• I tried another bar and thought it was better. Still not tasting much of the caramel though. Is there a reason why you put 2 tablespoons of flour in with the caramel?

Marti – that helps stabilize the caramel, but you can omit it. Just let them sit for longer next time 🙂

14. My Carmel keeps sinking to the bottom & sticking to the tinfoil. I tried making the crust thicker & baking it longer the first time around & it was worse. What can I do to prevent this?

15. My Carmel keeps sinking to the bottom & sticking to the tinfoil. I’ve tried making the crust thicker & baking longer the first time but it Is worse. What can I do to prevent this?

Try adding a little flour into the caramel to help thicken it. Perhaps your caramel is too thin and thus is sinking into the dough rather than staying in a layer. Sorry about the issues!

16. Hey! These look yummy, and I’m planning to make them for a family gathering this coming weekend. Two questions: Could I just add a little salt to the caramel? I coulldn’t find the salted caramel at the grocery store.
    And, do the bars need to be refrigerated?
    Thanks!

The bars can be refrigerated if you’d like, but it isn’t required. And you can absolutely add salt to the caramel or salt the tops of the bars (once assembled fully but before baking) if you’d like too!

17. Quick tip on flattening the dough at the bottom of the pan: After putting the dough at the bottom, cover it with parchment paper or saran wrap, then use another 9×13 pan to flatten it.