These Snowball Kiss Cookies are a classic Christmas cookie with a chocolate kiss center! Buttery, tender, nutty and chocolaty, these are absolutely delicious!
Snowballs are one of my all-time favorite cookies! There’s something so nostalgic and comforting about a buttery, tender snowball cookie.
Also known as “Mexican wedding cookies” or “Russian tea cakes”, these cookies are ultra tender and soft and basically melt in your mouth. They’re kind of like a shortbread cookie in that they don’t use eggs, and they have the same light, fluffy-like texture as a shortbread cookie.
Generally made with ground pecans, they are nutty, sweet and super tender – definitely a more fragile cookie. Even the dough is a little crumbly, but don’t let the idea of a crumbly cookie dissuade you from making them! It just adds to the delicate texture.
And unlike a regular snowball cookie, these have a hidden surprise: a Hershey Kiss in the center! Not only does it make for a lovely and delicious surprise, but the combination of nutty cookies and creamy chocolate is unbeatable. I went with regular Hershey’s milk chocolate kisses, but you could use almond-filled, cookies & creme flavored, or the seasonal peppermint flavored ones. Honestly, any Kiss flavor would work and be utterly delicious. And if you can’t or don’t want to use pecans, you could use almonds or walnuts as well.
Buttery, nutty, tender and sweet – these Snowball Kiss Cookies are going to be a new fave!
Snowball Kiss Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground pecans should be a cookie crumb consistency - not super fine but not super coarse chunks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 22-24 Hershey's milk chocolate Kisses unwrapped
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars with the paddle attachment until fluffy and smooth, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the vanilla, mixing well. Lastly, add in the finely ground pecans and flour and beat until combined and a soft dough comes together.
- Using a Tablespoon-size cookie dough scoop, portion out a ball of cookie dough and gently flatten it in your palm. Place an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss in the center, then roll the dough around the Kiss, enclosing it into a ball. Dredge the cookie dough into the confectioners' sugar and place 1-2" apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking, or until cookies appear set and dull in color. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheets, then dredge again in the remaining confectioners' sugar.
You are going to love the chocolate surprise in these tender cookies!
Have a super sweet day!