These Salted Caramel Blondies are soft and chewy brown sugary blondies FILLED with a caramel center and topped with flaky sea salt. The combination of sweet and salty is absolutely heavenly!
I am a HUGE caramel fan. Can you believe there was once a time where I declared that I preferred hot fudge over caramel sauce?
I know. It’s a disgrace I hope we can all forget about, like turquoise eye shadow up to my eyebrows and low-rise jeans. It’s just better if we, as a society, move on from those travesties and leave them in history where they belong.
Anyhow, once I realized salted caramel pretty much trumps ANY other sauce/condiment, I was officially right in the head again and I began embracing this fantastic sauce. Between butter, sugar, and vanilla, how can you go wrong!?
In fact, there have been times where I have been known to purchase jarred caramel sauce and eat it straight from the jar. Ice cream who??? Salted caramel is perfectly suitable on its own, thankyouverymuch!
So when I tried this recipe, I was officially dead and in heaven because it is THAT good. Pure caramelly perfection in a single bite. Except the problem is, you would have to be insane to only take a single bite. It was hard enough trying not to polish off the entire pan.
These Salted Caramel Blondies have a blondie base with caramels mixed into the batter for maximum caramel flavor. Then they have the most decadent and otherworldly caramel FILLING that just sends these bad boys over the TOP with flavor and goodness. And of course, to really send these over the edge, I sprinkled on some flaky sea salt to really drive home that addictive sweet and salty flavor bomb.
The result is an amazingly soft, moist and chewy bar PACKED with buttery brown sugar & caramel flavors and an irresistible salty crunch. You do NOT want to miss this recipe!
*adapted from Family Circle magazine
Salted Caramel Blondies
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter cubed
- 2 cups Kraft caramel squares unwrapped and divided (about 1.5 bags' worth or approximately 48-50 caramel squares total)
- 1¾ cups light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9x13" rectangular metal baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and 14 caramels (about 1/2 cup). Heat over medium-low, stirring constantly until caramels soften and melt. Remove from heat and let set for about 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, followed by the eggs, one at a time, whisking very well after each addition so as not to scramble the eggs, followed by the vanilla extract. Add in the flour, baking soda and salt and mix well until a soft batter comes together.
- Pour about half of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan evenly. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just about set. Remove from oven but keep oven on.
- While bars partially bake, make the filling. Combine remaining 1 & 1/2 cups caramels (about 34 caramels total) with heavy cream and microwave in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds - 1 minute, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Once base layer is partially baked, pour the caramel mixture on top evenly, followed by the remaining blondie batter. Sprinkle the tops with flaky sea salt. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until set and center is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
These are SO gooey, buttery, caramelly and fantastic! I know you’re going to adore them!
Have a super sweet day!