These Chocolate-Frosted Yellow Cupcakes truly are the best ever! Moist, fluffy and topped with a sinfully rich & delicious chocolate frosting. No one will know you took shortcuts to make these!
So on Saturday, I had my first-ever book signing at Barnes & Noble! *cue all the gasps*
It was crazy awesome and I want to take this time to personally thank each and every one of you who stopped by the table and said hello, who sampled treats, and for those who bought the book – thank you. I appreciate you so much, and hope your shopping experience was a little sweeter with some cupcakes and brownie bombs 🙂
And the best news of all: we sold out! Such an exciting time for me, and I’m so grateful and humbled! This is still super new to me, so the fact that over 30 books were sold on Saturday at that Barnes & Noble alone is mind-blowing.
And it obviously calls for cupcakes. Plenty of cupcakes.
These Chocolate-Frosted Yellow Cupcakes are incredible. The cake is moist, buttery and fluffy, and the chocolate frosting is just out-of-this-world-amazing. It’s SO chocolaty!
Now, you could always go all-vanilla or all-chocolate with your cupcakes, but I love the contrast between a buttery vanilla cake and a chocolate icing. There’s just something about it that’s so classic to me. But as I said, this frosting would be amazing on a chocolate cupcake, or you could make a killer buttercream to frost these equally-killer cupcakes. Whatever floats yo boat!
But whatever you do, pretty please promise you’ll make ’em? I pretty promise they’re worth every bite!
The Best Chocolate-Frosted Yellow Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz box) instant vanilla pudding mix (just the dry mix)
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- FOR FROSTING:
- 3/4 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream may not use all of it
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with about 18 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, dry pudding mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat well with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes or until combined and fluffy.
- Distribute batter evenly among baking cups, filling about 3/4 full. Bake for approx. 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cocoa powder and vanilla until creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Stream in the heavy cream a little at a time to thin out the frosting if it is too thick. Frosting should be light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes; garnish with chocolate sprinkles.
I am officially obsessed with these cupcakes! That frosting is just SO wonderful!
Have a super sweet day!