Okay, so you know how everyone has that weird neighbor?
I definitely do.
We’ll call him Plaid Shirt, since that seems to be the only type of shirt he owns.
ANYWAY. Plaid Shirt is weird for many reasons. One, he likes to sometimes park his car on the other block, then walk back home and leave his garage door wide open for hours on end. Why? No idea. My guess? He probably wants it to look like no one’s home so when a burglar comes, he can go all ninja on them and chop them up with a machete. Or something along those lines.
He also loves to drive incredibly slow down the street and wave maniacally at me whenever I’m walking my dogs. Like, not a simple wave. I’m talking arms swinging, fingers fully spread, about to dislocate his shoulder waving, as if I can’t see him or something. Sometimes he even honks, which I loathe completely. And sometimes he’ll roll his window down, say “hiiiiiiiiiii” all weird-like, and wave crazily. The wave is always enthusiastic, always a driving hazard, and always happening.
Then there’s the tidbit about the time he stopped me on my walk to tell me all about his crazy ex-girlfriend. Like I’m talking mega deets about his love life, how she screwed him over, and how now she’s an ex for a reason. Meanwhile I just stood there in my gym shorts and sneakers trying to be like, “well, nice to talking to you but I gotta go. Forever.”
So all of this is fine and dandy (I guess) except for that my dogs literally hate me because every time we walk across the street from his house, my dogs will stop DIRECTLY across the street from his house and will take no less than 12 light-years to finish sniffing, peeing, whatever. It’s always in front of his house when he’s home or secretly home, and sometimes I can see him watching me through his front window even though I pretend not to notice because I’m a passive aggressive loner and don’t want to wave to him.
And I’ll desperately pull on my dogs’ leashes and try to drag them from the grass as if my life depends on it, because let’s face it, it probably does. This is totally the type of dude who would wear a human face mask like in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Well. Maybe I’m just overly suspicious of people who are way too enthusiastic and who willingly risk dislocation of the shoulder to say hello.
Or maybe I’ve just seen way too many episodes of Forensic Files.
Anywho, let’s talk about cake, because there’s always a reason to celebrate with cake… even if that reason is surviving a walk around the block with your dogs.
This cake is a special one, as it’s filled with a lusciously creamy cheesecake filling. From the outside, you wouldn’t be able to tell this sinfully rich and moist chocolate cake had a special secret. But it does, and it’s oh-so delicious.
Chocolate Cheesecake Bundt Cake
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1¼ cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1 small box chocolate pudding mix
- 1 (8 oz pkg) cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate sprinkles for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally (and I mean LIBERALLY) grease a bundt pan with cooking spray. I like to use the cooking spray that has flour in it. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake ingredients: beat together the cake mix, oil, water, 3 eggs, and the package of dry pudding mix for 2 minutes or until combined. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make your cheesecake filling. In a small bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and remaining egg until light and creamy. Spoon the cheesecake filling around the middle of the batter in the pan, careful not to let the cheesecake touch the sides or the inner tube of the pan. If it creeps toward the center or the edges, gently use a butter knife to move it back into place.
- Spoon the remaining batter over the cheesecake filling and bake for approx. 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes before carefully inverting onto a plate or wire rack.
- Once cake has cooled completely, make your ganache. In a large bowl, microwave the chocolate chips and heavy cream for about 40 seconds. Stir until smooth. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes, then carefully pour over the cake evenly. Sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles, if you'd like. Let set for about 20 minutes before cutting. Store cake in fridge.
This cake is so decadent, rich and utterly divine. You’ll love it!!
Have a super sweet day!
Ooooooh baby. This is a great cake to eat for National Chocolate Cake day today!!
I had no idea! Wahoo!
Michele @ Alwayzbakin says
I def need this cake in my life! Pinning for sure. Anything with cream cheese and chocolate for that matter is my weakness!
Haha, I hear you! Thanks Michele!
Regarding the pudding mix – instant or the kind you cook?
Please use instant! Enjoy!
Elizabeth H. Sorrentino says
I made this last night. The cake itself was terrific, but the cheesecake filling was not. It was dry, crumbly and had big holes in it. I really expected something a little smoother.
Can I make changes to make the filling a little more cheesecake-like?
My guests loved it. I was the only one disappointed. One guest requested the recipe. I gave it to her, fully crediting you and your website.
Hi Elizabeth! So glad your guests loved the cake! Sorry about the cheesecake filling. Feel free to add another egg to impart more richness next time!
I’m a fan of yours always looking for new receipts on your blog,you’re fun and witty. I’m from Sweden we do have pudding mix but can you please tell me the 1 box of pudding mix its measurement . It can be in oz or grams . Thanks
Hi Jacque! I believe a 3.4 ounce box of pudding mix would equal 96.38 grams. Hope this helps!
Thanks, Halley, I’m doing it for Valentine day for my partner thank you very much.
Katie Butchino says
This cake was DELICIOUS! I’m not a pro baker at all, and this was very easy to follow and the cake was SO MOIST. Seriously, one of the best cakes I’ve ever had. Everything turned out incredible.