A couple days ago, I went to a dinner party at my friend Heather’s house.
Since I’m an adult and adults do fancy things sometimes, I decided to be said fancy adult and buy a bottle of wine for a hostess gift. So I moseyed on over to World Market and checked out their wine selection.
Spoiler alert: I know zero about wine. Despite taking a wine and liquor class several years back, I know nothing. Zip. Zilch. So I do what most children would probably do: I chose by the packaging.
I know your mom has always told you not to choose books by their cover, but let’s get real: we all do. Especially people who have an appreciation for fonts, graphics, and other details. So I went on my wine-searching mission to look for the best looking (read: not necessarily best tasting!) bottle of wine.
And perhaps it was because I’m a dessert blogger, and perhaps it was because I figured everyone likes chocolate and wine, and perhaps it was because I know NOTHING about wine, and perhaps it was because I liked the font (the FONT) on the bottle, I bought a chocolate-flavored wine thinking, sure, this would be great!
Newsflash: for real-deal wine drinkers, it isn’t great. I suppose it’s like going to the fanciest, 5-star restaurant and asking for PBR. In other words, I’m sticking to a nice candle or some flowers for hostess gifts from now on. And I’m hoping and praying Heather won’t terminate our friendship because I am terrible at life.
I should have brought over these Cookies ‘n Cream Seven Layer Bars but they were gone shortly after I cut them. They’re super gooey and soft, loaded with cookies & cream goodness like white and milk chocolate chips, cookies & cream chocolate bars, Oreos of course, and a toasted-marshmallow sauce drizzled on ’em which takes them overrrr the toppppp. It’ll be hard to eat these bad boys without a tall glass of icy milk since I guarantee you’ll be tempted to dunk these!
And assuming I’m not excommunicated from my fancy, cool, wine-drinking adult blogger friends, I’ll bring these next time to get back into their good graces! 🙂
Cookies 'n Cream Seven Layer Bars
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oil
- About 20-25 Oreo cookies coarsely chopped
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup Hershey's Cookies & Cream chocolate bars roughly chopped
- 1 7 oz jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Mist the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg and oil until a soft dough forms. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and bake for approx. 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, but keep the oven on. Top the crust evenly with the chocolate chips, white chips, Oreo cookie pieces and Hershey's bars. In a small bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and the marshmallow fluff; pour the mixture evenly over the top of the bars.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the center appears set and the top is golden and bubbly. Cool the bars COMPLETELY in the pan before cutting into squares. I recommend letting them stand overnight so the marshmallow fluff has a chance to set up completely. Serve! Store leftovers airtight at room temperature for several days.
Ooey, gooey, sticky, sweet and chewy, these soft Cookies ‘n Cream Seven Layer Bars are to-die for! I love that the marshmallow gets a toasty flavor thanks to the sweetened condensed milk and almost tastes identical to the classic Oreo cookie filling drizzled right over top of these indulgent bars. Regular Oreos not your thing? Feel free to use peanut butter Oreos with peanut butter chips, or even mint Oreos for a festive twist!
Have a fabulous day!