Liiiike, I seriously don’t understand how these are even real, to be honest. They’re composed entirely of chocolate. Different kinds, different shapes, all baked together into one outrageously gooey square of richness. They make Devil’s Food look like child’s play.
While I’m not the biggest chocolate fan (I know, I get flack for this all.the.time) even I found these to be insanely delicious. Kinda like how I didn’t want to like UGG Boots or Taylor Swift’s new song “Shake” but it happened anyway. Don’t tell anyone.
These bad boys have the texture and consistency of a super dense fudge — creamy and soft, but with little gooey pockets of a melty chocolate and sweetened condensed milk mixture that ooze out from beneath layers of chocolate chips. In fact, cut ’em into small enough pieces and you could totally pass them off as fudge for a holiday cookie tray or party… that is, if you don’t eat them all yourself.
And um, don’t forget the milk — it’s an absolute necessity for the thickness, chewiness and RICHNESS that are these crazy-chocolate bars! Now whether that’s regular milk or chocolate is up to you. I promise not to call Chocolates Anonymous on you if you choose the latter 🙂
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Gooey Bars
- 1 box Devil's food cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 "Giant" Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bars 7 oz each, unwrapped
- 1 "King Size" Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar 2.5-3 oz each, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sundae sauce
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Liberally grease the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg and oil with a spoon until a soft dough forms. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for approx. 12 minutes, then remove from the oven but keep the oven on.
- Top the crust layer with the Hershey's bars to cover the entire surface. Immediately top with the assorted chocolate chips evenly. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the hot fudge and sweetened condensed milk; pour the mixture evenly over the bars.
- Return to the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the center is just about set and bubbly. Cool completely in the pan, preferably overnight. Once bars are completely cooled, cut into squares and serve.
Have a fantastical day!!