Can we talk about those pregnant belly baby shower cakes?
I really — I really can’t deal with those cakes. Who came up with the idea for them?
Pregnant woman: “I’m looking for a cake for my upcoming baby shower. Can I place an order here?”
Bakery woman: “Sure. Did you have any ideas in mind? Maybe a simple sheet cake with “Congratulations” on it, perhaps with some pink and blue sprinkles or a teddy bear decal?”
Pregnant woman: “That sounds nice. Don’t you think that sounds nice, honey?” *turns to look at husband, who happens to be Jeffrey Dahmer.
Jeffrey: “How about instead of a sheet cake, we make a mock torso of my pregnant wife and we can all cut into her belly and eat it like morbid savages?”
Pregnant woman: “Oh, honey, that’s a great idea! Let’s put in raspberry filling so it looks more authentic!”
At least, that’s my imaginary scenario.
Are people who order those cakes sadists? Cannibals? I can’t really decide.
The idea of people crowding around a giant pregnant woman’s torso, lighting it on fire while singing, and then cutting into her hypothetical pregnant cake belly is just a little, I don’t know, batshit crazy. I really don’t want to eat a cake that resembles a preggo woman’s belly because the risk of me enjoying a vanilla flavored belly cake is too high and I already have enough psychological problems.
And like, who decides who gets the boob of the cake? Without realizing it you’ll probably end up giving the boob to your 5 year old son or your weird Uncle Larry who will be feasting on your hypothetical boob during the presents-opening part of the party. Not okay, Uncle Larry. But is it really Uncle Larry’s fault? No, because Uncle Larry probably figured his sane niece would purchase a normal sheetcake like a normal person and not some mock human torso where we’d all be feasting on her abdomen while she opened gifts.
So can we all make a pact from this moment forward to NEVER encourage pregnant belly cakes ever, ever again? They’re disturbing, and I don’t want to eat a woman’s cakey vanilla insides while surrounded by her family and friends and pastel stuffed animals. Even the stuffed animals, with their beady, soulless eyes are looking at me and thinking, “man, that shit’s effed up” while I stuff my face with pregnant woman abdomen cake.
Anywho. Something we all can agree on that won’t make us look like morbid cannibals: pie! Everyone loves pie, and everyone loves Oreos, am I right? Two very delicious things that are rarely combined — until now. I found the idea for this pie on Jenny’s site and fell in love. Who can resist a flaky, buttery pie crust stuffed with Oreos and creamy peanut butter? Not I! They’re not only scrumptious and highly indulgent, but adorable too — baby pies are just too stinkin’ cute.
So eat them, you freak!
- 1 pkg (2 crusts) refrigerated pie crusts
- 16 Oreo cookies (I used Double-Stuf but regular will work!)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse crystal sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease 8 cavities in a standard-size muffin tin and set aside. On a clean, flat work surface, roll out one of the pie crusts. Using a drinking glass or cookie cutter, cut out four-inch rounds (8 total, you may need to reroll the dough) from one crust. Press each round into the greased muffin tin, in the bottom and up the sides.
- Take an Oreo cookie and smear a generous dollop of peanut butter on top of it. Stack with another Oreo, and repeat with another generous dollop of peanut butter. Place the Oreo-PB stack inside of one of the pie crusts. Repeat with remaining pies.
- Unroll the second crust and cut out another 8 rounds; gently lay each round on top of the Oreo pies and tuck the ends around the sides, pinching to seal. Brush the tops of the pies with the egg, then sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Poke a tiny hole or two with a paring knife in the top crust to vent.
- Bake the pies for approx. 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Allow the pies to cool in the pan before removing to a wire rack. Serve immediately, or store airtight. Good at room temperature or warmed with ice cream!
How cute are these petite pies?! And filled with one of the most DECADENT fillings you could imagine: Oreos and peanut butter! These are definitely pies meant for serious Oreo cookie lovers. Feel free to substitute any other flavor of Oreo (the new Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Oreos would be PERFECT in this!) to switch up the flavors!
Have a fantastical day!
Stephanie @ Plain Chicken says
LOVE this idea! What could be better than oreos and peanut butter?!
Sophia @ NY Foodgasm says
This is totally amazing!! I used to think the pregnant belly cakes were cute, now, not so much, LOL!
Sarah @ Sarah Cooks the Books says
Along with pregnant belly cakes, I’d also like to ban that game women play at baby showers where different kind of chocolate bars are melted into diapers, and you have to guess what kind of chocolate bar it is.
WHAT?!!??! THAT’S A THING?!!??! Oh my god I am NEVER attending a baby shower ever again!! Haha.
Sarah @ Sarah Cooks the Books says
On the plus side, I DEFINITELY won that game.
Jess @ On Sugar Mountain says
Dude those cakes are so strange. The last thing I would want to be reminded of is my giant belly. It will most likely be right in my face as I’m eating the cake anyway. Silly people and their silly cakes. They should just eat a bunch of these oreo pb pies! Infinitely cuter than those strange cakes. 😀
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I’m kind of dying right now. Seriously. And I feel the same way about those cakes. AS SHOULD EVERYONE.
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says
TOTALLY with you on the baby shower cake. It’s right up there with boob cakes for me. Also a no-no. Also these Oreo pies, holy crap!
Lindsay Ann @ Lindsay Ann Bakes says
Soooo goood… i would do double stuf all the wayyyy!! YUM
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
hahahahaa I never thought of the pregnant belly cakes like that before! I guess it is kind of messed up! haaaaa ahhh Hayley, I love you lol
and these pies are AMAZINGNESS! I love pie, I love peanut butter, I love Oreo’s! YAY YAY YAYYYYY!
Cupcake Crazy Gem says
Wow these are over the top amazing, I love it!!!