Bikini season doesn’t bring you pie.
May flowers don’t bring you pie.
And massive heat waves certainly don’t bring you pie. They bring you pain and sadness and sunburn, which are pretty much the polar opposite of pie’s love and charm.
I am an equal oppietunist, which means I don’t discriminate when it comes to the slices. Pumpkin, apple(!!), strawberry, banana cream, chicken pot, coconut.. I love it all & then some. I could proooobably polish off a Dutch apple pie myself if no one was around to judge me (both thankfully and sadly, this will never happen).
Anyways, with pie season in full swing (oh yeah, and all that other holiday jazz), Lucky Leaf knows you’ll be busy baking up a storm. And they also know that you don’t necessarily have all the time in the world to be peeling apples to make a truly fine apple pie. That’s why their pie fillings are such a time-savers. Open up a can and you have all that laborious simmering, peeling, chopping and spicing done for you in one fragrant, delicious fruit compote.
And if you’re like me, you know that while pie is and always will be a die-hard favorite, sometimes you need to spice it up and serve your pie in a different vessel. Be in as a topping for ice cream sundaes, baked inside of a fudgy brownie, simmered over porkchops or stuffed in an empanada, like so, Lucky Leaf encourages you to think outside the box for their Lucky 13 Recipe Contest! Starting November 6th, enter your best original recipe using Lucky Leaf Premium Pie Filling for a chance to win one of 13 amazing prizes, including the $2,500 grand prize (that’s a lot of dough — and a bad pun).
Not only that, but you have a chance to win here as well! Just answer the following question in the comment section of my blog and enter to win your own Lucky 13 Prize Pack including a can of Lucky Leaf Pie Filling, a pie bird (SO CUTE!), pie slice boxes and recipe cards so you can participate in the holiday baking fun yourself. I’m dying to know — what is YOUR favorite kind of pie? Sweet, savory, a combination of the two, I want to know! I’ll randomly choose a winner on Monday, November 18th and email them immediately afterwards.
And in the meantime, I thiiiiiink your face needs to get lucky and snack on one of these Biscoff Apple Empanadas. Insanely delicious, slightly spicy and oh-so easy to make, they’re just one of the fun and simple ways to jazz up a can of Lucky Leaf’s incredible pie filling!
- 2 pkg refrigerated crescent rolls
- About 1/2 cup Biscoff (cookie butter) spread, divided
- 1 can Lucky Leaf Premium Apple Pie Filling
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with wax paper or silicone liners. Set aside.
- On a clean work surface, roll out the crescent rolls into 8 rectangles (4 rectangles per package). Pinch the seams together on each rectangle to create a flat surface. Cut the rectangle in half down the middle crosswise.
- Spread each square of dough with a little Biscoff. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the can of pie filling with the cinnamon. Spoon a Tablespoon or so of pie filling onto one of the sides of the empanada.
- Fold the other side of dough over to cover the filled side, pinching the seams to seal. You can also crimp the seams with a fork if you’d like. Space evenly along the baking sheet and bake for approx. 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- While still warm, melt the remaining cookie butter spread (about 1/3 cup or so) in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Drizzle the remaining cookie butter on top of the empanadas, and serve.
These empanadas can be made in minutes and taste like a healthier version of the classic Mexican dish. If apples aren’t your thing, consider using canned peaches or cherries. And if Biscoff isn’t your fave, you can sub peanut butter or Nutella instead! Customize them to your liking and happy snacking!
Have a fantastic day!!
In the interest of full disclosure, I was generously compensated with a prize pack of my own to review, create my own recipe, and give away on behalf of Lucky Leaf. All opinions are 100% my own.