Sooooo this weekend is Memorial Weekend. Do you have any fun plans?!
I don’t, other than likely eating my weight in macaroni and cheese burgers (yes, it’s a thing). And probably avoiding both the heat and wearing a swimsuit, both of which I find agonizing.
To beat the heat AND satisfy any sweet cravings lingering after a BBQ binge, may I suggest some of these AWESOME peanut butter & jelly-ice cream sandwiches? Spoiler alert: yes, I AM suggesting exactly that.
The idea of sammiching ice cream in between PopTarts isn’t exactly new, but when I spotted this Breyer’s Peanut Butter and Jelly Blast ice cream, I knewwww I had to snatch it up and use it somehow (if not smother my face in the carton). Then the idea of using strawberry PopTarts came to mind, and then adding some more peanut butter and sprinkles was just necessary. Thus, this incredible creation was born!
They’re made in minutes and if you whip them up the night prior, or even in the morning, they’ll be frosty and ready to eat by lunchtime!
- 2 pkg (4 total) strawberry PopTarts
- 2 cups Breyer's Peanut Butter & Jelly Blast ice cream, softened
- 4 tsp smooth peanut butter
- Open each package of PopTarts and carefully cut each PopTart in half crosswise. You'll have 4 sandwiches. Smear about 1 tsp of peanut butter on the bottom of each PopTart half.
- Scoop about ½ cup of ice cream onto the bottom (unfrosted) side of one of the PopTart halves. Kind of gently smear it around to coat the tart. Take another tart half and gently press it on top of the softened ice cream, frosted side up. Using a butter knife, smooth out any super messy sides.
- Roll the sandwich edges into sprinkles. Loosely wrap the sandwiches into squares of wax paper and place them on a plate or cookie sheet. Freeze the sandwiches for about 2 hours minimum, 4 hours recommended, or until firm. Eat up!
- *Note: heads-up! This recipe is easily doubled!! If you can't find the peanut butter & jelly ice cream, try using strawberry ice cream or even a raspberry sorbet!*
Okay, so if you’ve never had a frozen PopTart, please eat them immediately. They are AWESOME! And if you can find that ice cream, grab two cartons. It’s a rich vanilla ice cream swirled with strawberry jelly and lots of hunks of peanut butter. And when sandwiched between those flaky, berry-filled PopTarts, these make for excellent little melty sammies! If you’re either A) a kid, B) a PBJ lover, or C) human, you’ll love these!
Have a great weekend!!