It’s beginning to freak me out.
For easy reading, I’ve compiled a list of Things Wrong with Me or TWWM that will hopefully shed light on some possible reasons why I’m suddenly screwed up.
1. Yesterday, I slept in until 11:45 IN THE MORNING. Just so you know, I’m the anti-sleeping-in girl. The latest I’ve ever slept in was 10 am, and that’s because I was up and out until 5 in the morning. But Friday night I fell asleep at midnight–hardly “late”–and woke up Saturday as noon was rearing its ugly head. I promptly shot out of bed, got ready in a record-breaking five minutes, and was out the door, hell-bent on salvaging my day which I’d slept through.
2. I’m no longer a fat ass. Meaning: I’m not eating as much. There’s still remainders of Halloween candy poking out in hidden spots around my kitchen, and I’m like, totally “meh” on the subject of stuffing my face. Case in point: every Saturday, Jessie and I go to this hidden gem sandwich shop in Newcastle, Ca and get these fat, DELICIOUS sandwiches called “rat traps” (loaded with pastrami, turkey, ham and roast beef, topped with buffalo cheddar, fresh veggies and a delectable sauce called 50/50–ranch and balsamic; SO GOOD) and I’m constantly polishing that puppy off, no regrets. But this week and last week I’ve managed to nibble on only half my sammy. I’m obviously disturbed.
3. But I am eating Cheezits. While this doesn’t seem weird to the average human being, I personally detest Cheezits (not enough cheese powder). Yet I’ve found myself scarfing down these Asiago Cheezits like there’s gonna be a Cheezit apocalypse, sucking off the cheese powder before crunching away. Maybe I’m dying…
4. I caught myself singing 98 Degrees. You know, Nick Lachey’s old band, popular in the 90’s for tribal arm tattoos and wife beaters? Yupp, while making these cookies I was singing “Uno Noche.” Nah, I have to be dead already.
I think four is enough reasons why I’ve been possessed, don’t you think?
Anyways, because I’m verging on becoming a vampiric, 98-Degrees-singing, sandwich-neglecting loooosah, I figured I’d better make some cookies to truly test whether or not I’m clinically insane.
It’s cold and rainy in Sacramento, which means I’m bundled up, desperately seeking heat and reading my magazines, neglecting as much homework as possible. This also means I’m making the most comforting cookie I can think of, which happens to be oatmeal.
I guess the thought of a squishy, fat, chewy oatmeal cookie is really soothing to me, like a grandma or a heating blanket (I suppose minus the chewy part on both counts).
So I made some. I threw in some mini M&M’s for good measure. (Okay, now I know I’m normal)
Oatmeal M&M’s Cookies *adapted from this recipe I found on Chowhound
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup brown sugar (dark or light, doesn’t matter)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups quick oats
1 bag mini M&M’s (can substitute with 1.5 cups chocolate chips, if desired)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray, and blot excess spray with a paper towel; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1 3/4 cup flour, the baking soda, salt and cinnamon until blended. Set aside. In a large bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until blended. Gradually add flour mixture into butter mixture, about 1 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
3. In a small bowl, toss the remaining 2 Tbsp flour with the M&M’s. Stir quick oats and flour-tossed M&M’s into the oatmeal cookie batter to blend.
4. Portion batter onto greased baking sheets, about 1-2″ apart, using a cookie dough scoop or a tablespoon. Bake approx. 10-12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time for even baking. Cookies should be light golden brown and set in the middle; do not over bake! Allow to cool a few minutes on sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store airtight.
Soft, chewy, fat… sprinkled with cinnamon and studded with M&M’s… yup, I’m still normal (ish).
JUSTSOYOUKNOW…I spotted some new cinnamon M&M’s at Walmart a couple days ago but didn’t think to buy them (stupid) but they would probably be brilliant to put in these cookies, just sayin’.
Hope you enjoy them! Happy Sunday!