Peppermint patties are a quintessential Christmas treat! These Homemade Peppermint Patties are fantastic and SO easy! You’re only 6 ingredients away from having a homemade treat that’s great for gift-giving and makes a big batch!
I am DONE with my book!
Well… done with the baking and photo portion of my book.
I still have ALLTHEWRITING to do. And believe me, it’s a lot of writing. So if you may hear crickets around here for a little bit of time because I’m trying to juggle cookbook author/blogger/human being and it ain’t easy.
BUT, I’m obviously still going to bringing you ample fabulous holiday desserts. Natch. Because I love ya and it’s the holidays, AKA Hayley’s Prime Time. I live for this time of year!
So: enter these Easy Homemade Peppermint Patties. I know there’s gonna be some wise guy saying it’s easier to buy and unwrap peppermint patties and call them homemade. Congratulations. You have worked the system. But for the rest of us who enjoy baking, creating and living a true life, there’s this recipe. So if you’re going to comment that, I’ll spare you your brilliant comment and say it here: Yes, you could buy peppermint patties at the store, unwrap them and pretend they’re homemade. Go for it, I’m not the boss of you.
BUT BUT BUT! These are better. Seriously.
There’s something so delicious about these melt-in-your-mouth mints. Maybe it’s the fact that they’re easy to make or because homemade stuff is usually better, but I think these would make a wonderful addition to your Christmas gift-giving, whether you place ’em alongside homemade cookies or wrap them in cute bags for neighbors. Again, I’m not the boss of your life or anything, but…
To make these bad boys, simply beat the living daylights out of some butter, corn syrup, peppermint and vanilla extracts. Then beat in some powdered sugar. Well, a lot of powdered sugar. Roll them into balls and gently press them down into discs on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze them briefly, then whip up some smooth chocolate and dip them all! If you’re feeling fancy, top some off with crushed mints – I used candy canes – or even chocolate sprinkles. Live your life!
Be a wise guy and make ’em!
*adapted slightly from here
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 1 & ½ tsp peppermint extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pkg (16 oz) chocolate candy coating (such as CandiQuik)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside briefly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, corn syrup and extracts together on medium-high speed for 3 minutes or until fluffy and well combined. Beat in the powdered sugar slowly to incorporate, then on high until completely blended.
- Roll a teaspoon or so of dough in your hands to form a ball and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, then with your fingers, gently press down to form a patty. Freeze the patties for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Melt the candy coating according to package directions until smooth. Dip the peppermint patties into the chocolate using a fork and allowing excess chocolate to drip off. I like to dip the fork tines in the chocolate before dipping to ensure the sticky patty doesn't stick to the fork's tines. Gently push the coated patty off of the fork using a toothpick and, if using a garnish, sprinkle while the chocolate's wet.
- Allow patties to set before serving.
Smooth, melt-in-your-mouth mint & chocolate patties of goodness! I love these little guys!
Have a super sweet day!