I was practically on my hands and knees begging my family to let me decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving. Thankfully, they lost their battle and the tinsel was hung before they could say ‘hell no.’
And Christmas music? Honey, it’s been playing nonstop since Thanksgiving. If it were up to me, I’d have ‘Jingle Bells’ by Frank Sinatra as my ringtone and would be belting out Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ in July. I’m that person.
And I know it’s hard to say how you’ll be when you’re older, but I foresee myself as being the crazy Christmas grandma who has those little Christmas villages set up all over the house, a year-round tree in my living room and a collection of ugly Christmas sweaters worn throughout the year for a little zip of spirit.
I’d be kind of like Oprah, handing random wrapped gifts out to friends and family throughout the year, and I’d perpetually leave Christmas lights up outside because they’re gorgeous and why is it not socially acceptable to do so? I mean, just because we had that one weird neighbor who had a glider aircraft in his front yard sitting on a bed of weeds had his Christmas lights up year-round, doesn’t mean I’ll be like him. No aircrafts on my front lawn, I promise!
And can we talk about Christmas food? Why in the living hell are we not making Christmas cookies any other time of year? I don’t know about you, but Sugar Cookies and Snowballs have no place only being served in December. It’s a travesty, really.
So let’s make a pact right here, right now, that we’ll forever serve Christmas cookies year-round. Because these Red Velvet Peppermint Thumbprints cannot and should not be limited to the Christmas season, you hear me?
These guys are so good and…I don’t even like red velvet. Maybe it’s because they’re ultra buttery and tender, with just the right amount of cocoa to add a depth of flavor. And they’re smooshed (that’s the technical term) with a peppermint kiss candy for an extra touch of glamour and sophistication… and because red velvet and peppermint are BFFs.
Plus, this cookie dough doesn’t require chilling, rolling, or anything fancy. Simply whip up the dough, portion into rounded Tablespoon-sized balls and bake. Once they’ve cooled for about 5 minutes, press in a kiss candy and you’re done. Enjoy them gooey and warm, or let ’em set up so they’re prettier for presentations. Just…make them, promise?
*adapted from this recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 & ½ cups all-purpose flour
- About 24 peppermint Kisses candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or mist the sheets lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the egg, food coloring and vanilla and beat to combine. Lastly, add in the cocoa, baking powder and flour until a soft dough forms.
- Roll rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough in a ball and place about 1" apart on the baking sheets. Bake for approx. 9-11 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. Cool on the pans for about 5-7 minutes, then gently press a peppermint kiss candy into the center of each cookie. Either serve immediately, or allow to set (about 2 hours) before packaging and serving.
If you’re a red velvet lover, you ought to make these cookies! They’re so good! Don’t like peppermint? Substitute any other flavored Kiss candy instead!
Love Red Velvet? Try my other Red Velvet recipes!
Have a delicious day!