This, my friends, is that muffin.
Now. I know most people have their “best muffin ever” recipe and they’re not swaying. Believe me, I’m not trying to get you to sway. Much like our celebrity free pass and our top favorite cuisine, some things aren’t debated because they’re simply a matter of completely personal taste.
However, when it comes to my opinions (eg, Jennifer Lawrence, Mexican cuisine and these muffins) I just happen to think I’m right
Blueberry muffins are one of those things I’m always in the mood for — much like Mexican cuisine and Spice Girls songs. No matter what, a blueberry muffin always sounds pleasant — so long as it’s baked properly.
Have you ever bitten into a muffin that was so dry and bland and bleh that you kind of wanted to hold a funeral for said-baked good? Me too. Like, sorry this trained professional failed so hard at life when making you today. Kind of makes me sad for your blueberry muffin race.
Or maybe I’m the only one who holds fictitious funerals and speaks to baked goods. Whatever.
The point is, this muffin definitely aids the fight against bland blueberry muffins. It’s anything but dry, far from bland, and absolutely, positively delicious — the epitome of every good muffin! This particular recipe uses oil instead of butter, which I find lends a softer, moister crumb than butter does… but have no fear, these muffins are still irresistibly buttery and sweet without it. Next, this recipe calls for cranking up the heat superduper high in the beginning and for good reason. You know those totally awesome, super fat muffin tops we all love? (I’m not talking about our body part, FYI, but I’m sure your body is fantastic, too!) This recipe achieves that huge, delicious muffin top by cranking up the heat really high from the beginning. The high heat + the amount of baking powder in the recipe allows the muffins to quickly rise, creating that scrumptious, coveted top. Then the heat is lowered so the rest of the muffin can continue to cook evenly.
And did I mention it’s positively smothered in fresh blueberries? Perfection. And sprinkling sugar, because I cannot have a baked good without a crunch from some kind of sprinkle. (I know, I’m perpetually a ten year old child).
Are you ready to meet my most favorite blueberry muffin ever?!
*adapted from Taste of Home
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 shy teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more or less to suit your tastes)
- Pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or 2 cups thawed blueberries, from frozen)
- Coarse sugar (or turbinado sugar) for sprinkling, optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with about 18 paper liners; set aside. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended.
- Stir in the oil, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract until a soft batter has formed. Gently fold in the blueberries until just barely combined; the dough may still be slightly lumpy, but don't overmix it. Overmixing causes chewy, dry muffins.
- Drop two heaping Tablespoonfuls of batter among each muffin cup, or until about ¾ full. Sprinkle copiously with the sugar to cover the entire top surface of the muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes in the 425 degree oven. Then decrease the oven temperature to 375 for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs, and until the tops are lightly golden.
- Allow the muffins to briefly cool before serving. Serve muffins warmed or at room temperature, and store leftovers covered at room temperature for about 5 days. Taste best within the first 1-2 days.
I love how easy and straightforward this blueberry muffin recipe is! One bowl minimizes prep and the recipe is tailored to create puffy, sky-high, moist and foolproof muffins that taste like they came from a gourmet bakery! The sugared tops add a delectable crunch that I find so irresistible — especially when they’re sprinkled on those fat, plush muffin tops which have a slightly crispy edge revealing a soft and tender crumb inside. And the fact that they’re packed with tons of fresh, bright blueberries is the best! This will cure any muffin craving, guaranteed
Have a fantastical day!