I am a recent convert of KLP. While it’s not my favorite pie flavor, and I certainly wouldn’t choose it over say, apple or coconut cream, I do like it. I like that tangy, sour bite and the creamy texture. And I like limes, but usually only in margaritas, so it’s nice to enjoy them in something other than straight tequila and my depressing company of drinking alone.
And it’s only fitting I fall in love with KLP now because I’m headed to Miami next month for BlogHer Food and I have a pretty decent hunch that this particular pie is pretty darn popular down there. Needless to say, I’m stoked to have a taste of an authentic Key West Key Lime Pie!
In the meantime, and because I live approximately a billion miles away from Florida, I need something easy to whip up when I get lonely and tequila isn’t an option (which, let’s face it, tequila is never really a decent option to begin with). So I whipped up this Guiltless Key Lime Pie and whoa, y’all. This is the cure for what ails your te-keeel-ya heart.
You will never believe this creamy, tart pie is made with lightened up, smarter substitute swaps and isn’t loaded with a billion calories or fat grams. It’s light, fluffy, easy to prepare, and tastes pretty darned close to the real thing.
And if you don’t think so, well, try drinking a shot first and then get back to me. Bottoms up!!
- 1 9" prepared low-fat graham cracker pie crust
- 1 (14 oz) can fat free sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice
- ½ cup fat free sour cream
- ¼ cup fat free liquid egg substitute
- Zest of 2 limes
- Cool Whip Free
- Lime slices, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the prepared pie crust onto a rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, and sour cream. Whisk thoroughly until smooth. Add in the egg substitute and lime zest and mix until combined.
- Spread the filling into the prepared pie crust. Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until edges are firm. Do not over bake! Allow the pie to cool completely.
- Once cooled, refrigerate the pie until chilled, about 2 hours. Just before serving, garnish each slice with a healthy dollop of Cool Whip Free and garnish with a lime slice, if desired.
I took this pie to a friend’s house and it was devoured by her family in seconds. No one realized this tart and delicious pie was guiltless until I told them so. The texture and bright, refreshing lime flavor is so spot-on that no one will know your little low-cal secret. This pie will be a huge hit at your next gathering, I just know it — and if not, again — that’s what the tequila is for
Have a delicious day!