Most know it as the day where America’s best football teams duke it out for the official title of Super Bowl Champion. I know it as the day where it’s socially acceptable to eat snacks all day long and inhale chips & dip like my life depends on it. Also, for Puppy Bowl, which personally I find MUCH more amusing than a bunch of men in padded Spandex.
Because hello? Puppies win every day.
I usually cook up a bunch of appetizer-y stuff for my family to nosh on during the game, then have something sweet saved for last to balance all the hot wings, cheesy dips and salty cheese & cracker sandwiches. This year I know exactly what I’ll be making for that sweet something — this Caramel Apple Cheesecake Peanut Butter Cookie Pizza! I know it’s a mouthful figuratively and literally, but it is SO worth it. Here’s the play-by-play:
It starts with a peanut butter cookie base baked golden brown on a pizza stone (I don’t mess around with my cookie pizzas, y’all). Next, it’s topped with a scrumptious cheesecake mixture created from softened cream cheese, a little sugar and Musselman’s Apple Butter. If you didn’t know, Musselman’s is America’s Favorite apple butter — made, of course, with delicious apples simmered slowly to create that amazing flavor and texture we all love. Musselman’s can be spread on toast, baked in cakes & muffins, used as a marinade or used to jazz up other bottled sauces to create unique combinations & recipes. Plus, it’s gluten-free!
Next, I top the cheesecake mixture with a handful of crisp, tart green apples to create that mouthwatering crunch and provide a nice, fresh taste to this delectable dessert pizza. Following the apples comes a generous sprinkling of miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups to add some texture and even more deliciousness. Finally, there’s a nice drizzling of caramel sauce just to punch this pizza up another notch or twelve. The result is one scrumptious, chewy, crunchy, unique dessert pizza that everyone will love no matter who wins the game, who loses, or how many salami & cheese cracker sandwiches you’ve eaten
- 1 roll prepared refrigerated peanut butter cookie dough (I like Pillsbury brand), room temperature
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped into thin, bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium Gala apple, chopped into thin, bite-sized pieces
- 1 pkg Miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- ½ cup prepared caramel sundae topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a pizza stone with cooking spray. If you do not have a pizza stone, grease a standard cookie sheet instead. Set aside.
- Unwrap the package of cookie dough and using the heels of your hands, gently knead the cookie dough into a round pizza shape. I rolled mine almost the entire size of the stone with about an inch margin all around. Pat into an even layer and bake for about 12-15 minutes or until the top is set and golden. Do not over bake. Cool completely on the stone/baking sheet.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, apple butter and sugar with an electric mixer for about a minute or until smooth & blended. Spread the mixture evenly on top of the cooled cookie pizza, leaving a small border around the edges for the "crust."
- Top the cheesecake mixture evenly with the apples and the Reese's candies. Lastly, drizzle the caramel onto the pizza. Cut into slices and serve immediately. To make this pizza EXTRA indulgent, top with ice cream!!
The texture of this pizza is absolutely amazing. I love the buttery, peanutty base of the chewy cookie topped with those crisp, fresh Granny Smith apples and the creamy, apple-y cheesecake layer. Of course, the peanut butter cups and caramel make this pizza extremely indulgent but totally delicious. If peanut butter cups aren’t your thing, consider subbing Rolos or M&M’s instead. And assuming you use gluten-free cookie dough, this entire dish could potentially be a gluten-free treat as well!
And hey, I did promise a giveaway, didn’t I? If you’d like to win a Musselman’s prize pack, including a jar of Musselman’s Apple Butter, a special Grillware Pizza Tray from Wilton Armetale and a recipe card for Caramelized Onion Bacon Pizza (YUM!), enter here! All you have to do is answer this: Who is going to win the Big Game? (And if you aren’t a football fan/don’t know, just list a team anyways)
Winner will be announced on Sunday, 2/2 right before the first kickoff. Winner will be immediately notified and must respond within 24 hours. Good luck!!
Be sure to connect with Musselman’s via Twitter & Facebook, and check out their YouTube video for more Game Day recipes! If you plan on making this or any of Musselman’s recipes, be sure to use #AppleButterSpin to share with Musselman’s!
Have a fantastical day!!
Musselman’s generously provided me with this same prize pack to review. I received no monetary compensation for this post. All opinions are exclusively my own. Musselman’s will be mailing the winner, who will be selected randomly, the same prize pack after 2/2/2014 when the contest ends.