Answering phones, filing paperwork, tip-tapping away at the computer…
I mean, obviously there is more to it than that. But basically, when it comes down to it, it’s just me in my cubicle with my headphones on, spaced out from 8-5.
Alllllso, as you may know, I am a horrific snacker. I am constantly noshing on something, be it healthy or not, food or gum, caps of pens or my nails. Gross, I know, but it’s a chewing habit I just can’t break. I love to eaaaaaaat. And chew.*
*not chewing tobacco, you nasties. I once dated a guy who chewed tobacco and it was like, the nastiest thing ever. He always smelled like beef jerky and had little shreds in his face all the time and it was SOGROSSSSSS.
As you can probably picture me sitting in my cube all day, snacking on sooooomething — anything — I can get my desperate paws on. Usually I’ll bring along apple slices and a baggie of cereal (ATM, my current cereal obsession is knock-off Lucky Charms), but by the time I’ve plowed through those yummies, I’ll look at the clock and it’ll only be 10. Lunch is at 12, and then I have until FIVEEEEE to go without snacking, which is basically a method of torture in my eyes.
So I decided to come up with something hearty and delicious to cure all my snacking woes. Something satisfyingly sweet and salty, and that errs on the side of healthy without being straight-up kale chips because honestly, do I look like a kale chip kinda girl?
Thus, these Banana Bread Crunchies were born. And friends, these are life-changing.
After dying while reading Jessica’s book, I managed to resuscitate myself with the promise that I’d make myself her Cinnamon Cheerio Crunchies. Imagine crispy cinnamon Cheerios tossed in a glorious butter and brown sugar mixture, baked until golden and served plain, over granola, or slurped up with milk. I was intent on making these around the same time I realized I had a bag of banana chips in the pantry.. and thus, the idea to combine the two was born!
- 4 cups Banana Nut Cheerios
- 1 cup crushed Banana Nut Cheerios
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup banana chips
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the whole Cheerios, crushed Cheerios, brown sugar and salt. Slowly pour the melted butter on top and toss to combine and coat thoroughly.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer along the baking pan. Bake for approx. 25 minutes, stirring the mixture halfway through baking time. Once the mixture is finished baking, toss in the banana chips and mix around to combine.
- After the mixture has completely cooled to room temperature, sprinkle in the chocolate chips. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for 5 days.
I love that the Banana Nut Cheerios lend a subtle banana flavor to these deliciously addictive crunchies! Just like banana bread, these are warm and have such a nice texture .. and are the perfect solution to breakfast, dessert, or snacking. If you’re not a chocolate fan, omit the chocolate chips. Or substitute peanut butter chips instead for a nice PB-banana twist.