Grown-ups of the world: I get it. I finally get it.
You’re tired. You’re hungry. After working a full-time job, you get home and kind of want to collapse and cry until the weekend arrives. I hear ya.
But then there’s the whole dinner thing. What to make, what to eat? You want something super flavorful and easy, but the idea of dirtying numerous pans and standing in a hot kitchen sounds about as appealing as going back to work. So you order take-out and immediately feel guilty after. Or you open yet another box of cereal and wish it were more gourmet and less marshmallow-y. I get you!
Today, I teamed up with Kraft Foods to solve this tummy-rumbling, dinner-time dilemma that plagues families across the nation every single night. Kraft has recently launched a new product to help perk up suppertime blues: Kraft Recipe Makers!
Recipe Makers are a genius way to transform dinner staples into extraordinary, gourmet meals. Recipe Makers offers two savory sauces in each box to elevate the fresh ingredients into restaurant-quality meals without ever leaving your home. Imagine coming home after a long, grueling day of work and enjoying a big, hearty bowl of New England Pot Roast that cooked low and slow while you were at work — and essentially only took 10 minutes for you to prepare! Or if you’re moments before the first kickoff, you can whip together some spicy Chili Verde Nachos in a blink. With nine different flavor options, the meal possibilities are endless!
2 savory sauces + your fresh ingredients = 1 sensational meal!
Now if you are a regular on my blog, you know I love nothing more than to pair unexpected things together to create truly unique hybrid dishes. My savory selections are no different! I love slathering peanut butter on burgers, or dipping fries into frosty chocolate shakes. So I wanted to combine the traditional takeout flavors of Sweet and Sour Chicken with something we have all the time in my house: tacos! Together, this unique fusion creates a novel marriage of flavors and textures that is so unexpected, yet so familiar at the same time!
There are 24 hours in the day, so I know you have 30 minutes to spare to make these amazing Sweet & Sour Chicken Tacos!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 pkg Kraft Recipe Makers Sweet & Sour Chicken flavor
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 12 fajita-size flour tortillas
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the cubed chicken and the simmering sauce together, about 5 minutes, or until chicken is just about cooked through. Stir in the chopped onion and red pepper, and simmer until veggies are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the drained pineapple tidbits and the finishing sauce, stirring to combine. Allow the mixture to come together in the skillet for a couple minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your slaw: in a large bowl, combine the following: 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 3 Tbsp oil, + 1 tsp sugar with a fork. Stir in the coleslaw and chopped cilantro and toss to coat.
- Spoon the sweet & sour chicken into the tortillas, and top with the sour cilantro slaw. Enjoy!
I love the unique blend of flavors and cuisines in this simple, one-of-a-kind dinner. It’s such a creative way to get out of the typical dinnertime rut of having the same things over and over. By taking a classic–tacos–and adding an unexpected filling, you transform TWO dishes into one beautifully fused plate of food. I love the textures of this dish–the crisp-tender veggies, the tender chicken, the crunch of the sour cilantro slaw, and the soft shell that holds it all together. And, of course, the marriage of flavors–sweet, sour and spicy–makes this such an easy, gourmet meal for any night of the week!
*For more solutions to the ever-popular “what’s for dinner?!” question, visit Kraft’s website!
*Be sure to pick up your favorite flavor of Kraft Recipe Makers at stores like Walmart, Target, Kroger, Safeway, and more!
*And thanks for bearing with me and my gross on-camera voice
Have a delicious day!!!