So y’all know how I feel about House Hunters.
And yes, those people continue to make me want to punch myself in the face.
But recently, while
torturing myself watching it over the weekend, I learned something incredibly disturbing about home buying.
Some homes do not have ovens.
Like, it’d be understandable if a home didn’t have a convection oven. Or a helipad. Or a bomb shelter only activated when you pull a secret book off a fake bookshelf. But a regular oven?
WHAT KIND OF WORLD DO WE LIVE IN?!
The inventors of ovens didn’t just invent these amazing, incredible, life-changing appliances for giggles. They invented them because the world NEEDS ovens. The world begs for oven-roasted chicken, oven-cooked turkey, freshly-oven-baked cookies. There’s just something so inexplicably magical about the oven. In my science-y mind, I predict that little cold-blooded fairies live inside of the oven and when you put something inside of it, they fly out and start to work their oven-fairy magic making your dish into something just.. damn good.
That’s why food tastes better when it comes from an oven. From oven-fairy love. And honestly, you can’t dispute that. And if you can, I don’t want to talk to you because I only like to surround myself with people who believe in oven fairies.
HOOWEEEVER, I do understand that, at times, turning on the oven can be a total drag (but still, thanking my lucky fairies it’s there!!). Like when the temperature outside is approaching Hades-level and the idea of turning on the oven sounds about as appealing as lighting your eyebrows on fire. And I can relate. Sacramento summers are miserable, annual tests of my human resilience. So embracing a delicious, satisfying no-bake recipe is ideal.
Enter this Cookie Dough Ice Cream Cake. Holy bananas, it’s freakin’ ridiculous. If you’re a fan of cookie dough, cake, ice cream, food, awesome things, and oven fairies, then you’ll probably appreciate this genius recipe, combining the elements of baked goods with the ease and chilliness of something no-bake and frozen.
Now go promise your oven that it isn’t you, it’s me, explain you’ll kiss + makeup later, and make this damn cake.
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1 & ½ cups – 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ cups miniature chocolate chips
- 1 quart (1.5) vanilla ice cream, softened to room temperature
- Line an 8″ pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Mist the foil lightly with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter and sugars, creaming until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla extract to blend. Gradually add the salt and the flour until combined. Stir in ONE cup of the chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie dough layer evenly into the pan. Top the cookie dough layer with the softened ice cream, smoothing it over as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the ice cream with the remaining miniature chips.
- Freeze the cake for about 3 hours or until set and firm. Cut into squares and serve!
This cake is SO buttery and creamy and absolutely sinful. I don’t know about you, but I’m a cookie dough fiend and I love that this has that cookie dough, half-baked flavor without needing to turn on the oven. And the ice cream layer is PERFECT on top.. it totally takes on that “cookies and milk” idea. This would be awesome with chocolate syrup drizzled on top, or perhaps a peanut butter cookie dough layer topped with chocolate ice cream. Really, the options are endless!
Have a delicious day!!