Hoooooly Zagnuts, you guys. This chow is off. the. chaaaaaaaaaiiiiiin.
So I’ve been sick for the past week and I had made this Zagnut Chow right before I went down. And I have been snacking on it like it will go out of style tomorrow. I meaaan, my hand is pretty much nestled in the bag of chow 96% of the time.
When I told my family I was making this chow with Zagnuts, they gave me a weird look as they often do when I speak to them. “Zagnuts?” they asked. “What’s a Zagnut?”
I sighed and briefed them on the gloriousness that is a Zagnut candy bar. If you don’t know yourself, here’s a little lesson in yumminess: Zagnuts are peanut butter crisp bars topped with toasted coconut. They’re really similar to a Butterfinger texture-wise, with those crispy, multiple layers of peanut butter. And the outside is rolled in small pieces of toasted coconut, giving these crunchy bars a seriously sweet aftertaste. Also, fun fact: toasted coconut is the best thing in the world. Duh.
And if we’re being honest, I’m new to this whole Zagnut appreciation thing, too. Prior to a couple weeks ago, I had briefly heard of them but could never track them down. Then, one day when I was standing in the mile-long line at Michael’s (because my store enjoys torturing their customers with an hour-wait period), I spotted them sitting lonely on a shelf.
I lunged for the box, fearful that someone else would have the same Zagnut lightbulb moment I did and grab them first, snatching up six bars. The people around me looked at me strangely, possibly because they had never heard of Zagnuts either and were intrigued by my sudden interest in the retro candy bar. Or that a girl with glasses and leopard print platforms suddenly sprung herself at these candy bars. Whatever.
Anywho, upon first bite I fell in looooooove. And I knew I wanted to make something ultra decadent and equally addictive with these bars. The idea of puppy chow came to mind, but mixing that classic Chex cereal with something extra special … Captain Crunch cereal! The combination of the sweetened Cap’n Crunch and the Chex is pure perfection, people. Deeeeelish.
Then, I got super wild and drizzled the combo cereals with peanut butter. And theeeeen I upped the ante once more by drizzling that mixture with melted white coconut flavored chocolate (!!) and sprinkled on chopped Zagnut bars, toasted coconut, and peanut butter chips. Hello, my name is Hayley and I am addicted to this chow. No joke.
Don’t say you weren’t warned. Now get your booty out there and find yourself some Zagnuts.
- 6 cups Chex cereal
- 3 cups Cap’n Crunch cereal
- 1 pkg white chocolate almond bark (or Candiquik)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 2 cups toasted coconut
- 2 bars Lindt Excellence White Coconut Chocolate
- About 5 Zagnut bars, roughly chopped
- Line a clean work-space with wax paper. In a large bowl, gently combine the cereals.
- In a medium bowl, microwave the white chocolate almond bark until smooth and melted. Stir in the Tablespoon of peanut butter to combine. Pour the melted pb mixture on top of the cereal mixture; very gently toss to coat all of the cereal in the pb mixture.
- Spread the coated cereal onto the wax paper in an even layer. Immediately sprinkle with peanut butter chips and chopped Zagnut bars. While that sets, microwave your two coconut bars until smooth and melted. Drizzle the coconut chocolate evenly over the Zagnut chow; sprinkle immediately with toasted coconut.
- Allow the chow to set, about 20 minutes, before breaking into pieces and eating. Store leftover chow airtight.
You guys reeaaaally need to find a way into a bag full of this chow. Seriously, it’s some of the best! The combination of the sweet, nutty toasted coconut and the buttery, salty peanut butter is out. of. this. world. And I love the different textures from the chewy coconut, the crispy cereals, the crunchy candy pieces, and the soft peanut butter chips… this chow is pure heaven!
Enjoy your weekend!