Guess who is having a birthday today?!?
Little ol’, sweet ol’, sassy ol’, 22-year old ME!
This little chickadee turns 22 years old today. I can’t even believe I’m 22. Some days, I feel like I’m 80 with my 9pm bedtime and my occasional hip problems. Other days, I feel like I’m 15, dressing like a cartoon character with absolutely zero trace of ‘adult’ in my blood .. or wardrobe.
I mean, in 8 years, I’ll be THIRTY. And 8 years ago, I was FOURTEEN. How does that happen, people?!
Anyway. Since today is an undeclared national holiday (go ahead, call in sick and tell your boss it’s for a very important reason and he/she is callous for not celebrating Hayley Day), I’m going to do whatever I please. This will probably consist of an inordinate amount of shopping (because that appears to be my favorite pasttime), maybe painting my nails (because freshly manicured nails equal birthday success in my neurotic head), and chowing down on food since calories are negated due to the birthday celebration (I’m looking at you, freebie Krispy Kreme donut. Get in my mouthhole ASAP).
Because of my national holiday, I decided to make a cake sure to please me and probably only me. Unless you’re A) addicted to sprinkles; B) obsessed with bubblegum; or C) Hayley Parker, you probably want nothing to do with this obnoxiously bubblegummy cake smothered in sugar. Otherwise, welcome aboard. You’re in for a tasty ride, friend.
Okay, so I’m no Sprinklebakes, but I tried to make a prettiful four-tiered cake for my birthday festivities. I frosted it with Cool Whip icing because whipped cream frosting > buttercream. Yeah, I went there, homie. Whipped cream icing rules my face.
Of course, said frosting is flavored BUBBLEGUM because bubblegum makes everything better and literally makes my soul smile. That icing not only frosts this miniature four-tiered cake, but also provides a sliver of frosting in between layers for an extra bubblicious punch. And since I also happen to be all thumbs when it comes to cake decorating (read: I’m awful), I smothered everything in sprinkles. If that isn’t obnoxiously but beautifully distracting, I don’t know what is.
Behold, my birthday cake. Happy Birthday, indeed!
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1 & ¼ cup water
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 small box sugar free/fat free vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tub Cool Whip Lite (or you could use the Cool Whip Frosting in Vanilla–I did!), thawed
- 1 pkt Duncan Hines Bubblegum Frosting Creations
- Sprinkles and non-pareils
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease two 6″ cake pans (the small circular ones, available at Michael’s) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, egg whites, water and applesauce with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in the pudding mix to combine. Pour the batter evenly between the two greased pans. Place the pans on top of a rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillover.
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean. Cool the cakes about 30 minutes before gently inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Very carefully, saw each cake in half evenly. Place one half on your cake stand or plate. Meanwhile, gently combine the bubblegum flavor packet into the Cool Whip to blend. Slather a generous Tablespoon or so on top of the layer. Cover with another layer, then frost. Repeat two more times until you have four tiers with frosting in between three of them.
- Frost the remainder of the cake in an even layer. Smother immediately with sprinkles. The more, the freaking merrier, y’all. Eat up! Store this puppy airtight, in the fridge, for a couple days or so… assuming it lasts that long, which would kinda be criminal.
This cake is SO amazing; definitely my dream cake. The actual Funfetti cake is super moist and light, thanks to the egg whites (which also lighten it up calorie-wise), and the pudding mixed in. And that bubblegum whipped cream frosting is TO DIE FOR! When smothered in sprinkles and sandwiched between each buttery layer of cake, each bite is simply heavenly. Serve it with some bubblegum ice cream and call it a helluva birthday!
Can’t get enough bubblegum? Me either (it’s kinda serious). Here’s some more bubblicious treats for you:
See ya soon!