Now normally, I’m not a chocolate kinda girl.
I easily bypass chocolate like I easily bypass faux fur, sour candy, and Taylor Swift songs on the radio. Nooooothankyou.
I am more of a white chocolate kinda girl, the kind of girl who likes leather and red licorice and anything except Taylor Swift songs. That kinda girl.
But sometimes, there’s a weird glitch in my thinking and I get this sudden craving out of left field where I have to have something chocolatey and have it now. Kind of like the same overwhelming feeling I get when I order anything from the Betsey Johnson website: I want one of each and I want to sink my teeth into them all rightthissecond.
These cookies occurred during one of those temporary mental glitches…as well as eating three baskets worth of fries at Red Robin, buying 4 new chew toys for Mannie and splurging on a dozen or so new pairs of thigh-high socks. Sigh. When it rains, it pours.
If you’re ever feeling that tickle for something rich and chocolatey, this is your cookie. The base of this cookie is a box of Devil’s food cake mix. Before you balk, let me explain why I love using cake mix as bases for cookies. Cake mix cookies aren’t just super simple to bring together (hello, one box = one bowl!), but I love that this Devil’s food cake mix gives these chocolate cookies a little something special. They are chewy and soft and moist–just as I like my cookies–and are far from dry or shy on chocolate flavor.
And theeeeen I went to the crazy side and picked up three kinds of chocolate chips: semi-sweet, milk, and dark. I wanted to use three kinds because my life’s motto is “more is more” and I don’t believe in skimping when it comes to indulgence. If you knew you wanted a nice, designer pair of heels, you wouldn’t go to the thrift store, would you? That’s right–you’d head straight to the source of the prettiest shoes in all the land (Nordstrom) and go to town. That was exactly my thinking for these cookies, except I wanted to make sure I utilized three kinds of chips for the ultimate cookie. If I’m craving chocolate, a stupid chocolate candy bar or a simple, boring wafer cookie isn’t going to squelch my craving.
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix* (I used Betty Crocker brand)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with silicone liners or spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and oil with a wooden spoon, until blended. Stir in the three kinds of chips by hand to incorporate.
- Drop heaping Tablespoonfuls of dough about 2″ apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through cook-time to ensure even baking, or until the cookies are just barely set in the middle.
- Allow the cookies to set on the cookie sheets about 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store the cookies airtight, at room temperature, about 5 days.
These cookies are SO soft and puffy and last surprisingly long without compromising on that decadent chocolate flavor or their moist, fluffy interior. I love the hidden pockets of gooey chips and the contrast between the slightly bittersweet semi-sweet chips, the classically sweet milk chips, and the bitter, ultra-dark chips. My chocolate-loving brother and dad swooned over these sinful-yet-heavenly cookies and I know you will, too!!
*Note: I have received a couple of comments from readers who have had some trouble with this recipe. A smarty reader named Kelly kindly suggested that maybe it had something to do with the brand of cake mix used. I used Betty Crocker for this particular recipe, so I would recommend Betty Crocker’s cake mix for these cookies for the most desirable results.*