So, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a really bad real-life friend.
I want to take this opportunity to apologize to all my real-life friends because it’s pretty likely I haven’t spoken to you in months, much less seen you or experienced human contact. However, I invite you to join Instagram where I know more about what my internet friends had for dinner than what’s been going on in your real-life for the past seven months.
I’m sorry I suck.
It’s just that, with the holidays here in less than one week, work, home life, and everything else in between, the idea of spending one of my days off regurgitating old gossip or news for you just sounds so… unappealing. And yes, I do realize that if we hung out on a more consistent basis, there’d be absolutely zero need to discuss a year’s worth of information while sipping on a single mocha in the span of three hours, but I digress. Remember that part where I said I suck? Yeah.
Anywhoooo, one of these days, I’m positive I’ll go absolutely batty and break down and actually call you and ask for your forgiveness and maybe even offer to buy you a coffee in exchange for some much-needed human contact. But that will probably have to happen after the holidays because are you kidding me? I can’t even think about talking to anyone about drama unless I don’t get the boots I asked for for Christmas. Oh honey, then there will be drama #firstworldproblems.
So until then, please accept this ridiculously amazeballs toffee as a token of my acknowledgement that YES, you do, in fact, still exist and I have been an awful friend in putting off or rescheduling coffee dates because I’m a lousy, lazy loser. I’m sure one bite of toffee will solve all your qualms with me, but just in case it doesn’t, I made sure this toffee was like, OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD so you’d be forced to forgive me.
And FYI, “out of this world” stands for Salted Peanut Butter Toffee. Because hellloooooo that is like the bestest combination EVER. Like Rachel and Ryan, if Rach and Ry were a delicious candy that I ate almost an entire pan of.
Don’t worry. I’ll make you a pan to nosh on while we catch up.
Salted Peanut Butter Toffee *adapted from my Simple Salted Toffee recipe
2 sticks butter
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup chopped peanuts
3/4 cup toffee bits
About 1 cup peanut butter chips
About 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Line an 8×8″ pan with foil, allowing the sides of the foil to extend over the edges of the pan. Lightly mist the foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan evenly with the chopped peanuts and the toffee bits. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sugar over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, and stir the mixture constantly until it turns a caramel-y, light brown color (about 7-10 minutes).
3. Spread the toffee mixture evenly on top of the toffee/peanut mixture. Allow the toffee to set–at room temperature–about an hour or two.
4. Melt the peanut butter chips in the microwave until smooth and melted (about 60-90 seconds, stirring every so often). Pour the pb chips over the toffee layer and smooth evenly. Pop the toffee in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
5. Now, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips until smooth. Pour the chocolate over the peanut butter layer evenly and immediately sprinkle with sea salt (I went heavier on the salt, but adjust according to your preferences). Pop the toffee back into the fridge to set for about a half hour or so, or just until the chocolate has hardened.
6. Break the toffee into pieces and serve. This can be stored for up to a week, airtight at room temperature.
I LOVE the nutty, salty variation on this classic, simple toffee. First of all, toffee is amazing on its own (see my Simple Salted Toffee!!) but adding the peanut butter gives this candy a whole new dimension of flavor. The buttery, caramelized toffee pairs so beautifully with the smooth, nutty flavors of the creamy peanut butter chips and the salty crunch of the peanuts. And that’s another thing–I LOVE the crunchy texture of the peanuts and toffee bits on the bottom. It’s so unexpected in traditional toffee, yet it tastes SO amazing. You’ll love this last-minute, super-easy gift idea!!