Man. Sorry I’ve been MIA lately.
Life’s been busy, man. The holidays are more like the holidaze because I can’t believe it’s December 11th already and I haven’t even built a gingerbread house, decorated cookies, went ice skating, looked at lights, Christmas caroled, or anything yet!
Okay, so I definitely don’t Christmas carol. It’d be one thing if I had, ya know, an appropriate voice that wouldn’t offend society with my off-pitchedness and obscene tone-deafity, but pretty much I can only openly sing around my parents because in order to be a parent, I think you have to like, sign a contract saying you’ll never judge your child for singing N*Sync Christmas songs when they’re an adult because that’s just like, cruel. And therefore, their child has every freakin’ right to belt out “Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays” at the top of her lungs because of the whole “unconditional love/your child is awesome” clause somewhere in that contract.
(Pssst, Mom and Dad, the contract also says your oldest daughter shall receive forever bossing rights to the two youngest siblings. And a brand new KitchenAid pink mixer. And some new boots.)
But can you believe how quickly this year has come and gone? Even December. I still have like, a zillion Christmas recipes to post and only have like, this week to post them since y’all will be soooooo over Christmas by the 20th, amirite?
I mean, I may as well skim past Christmas and begin my Easter treats. Bunny peeps and Cadbury eggs, Santa?
Anyway. I apologize for my absence. I haven’t forgotten about you guys!! That’s why I made you some ridiculously tasty candy.
Now before you get all PC on me, I did NOT come up with the term “white trash candy”, nor do I think white trash people actually eat this stuff. But if they do, ya know, to each their own. I don’t judge.
However, after seeing it on blogs like Aimee‘s, I kinda sorta fell in love with this trashy treat. It’s basically a fantastical jumble of tasty candies, cookies, and confections, all smothered in chocolate because hello, that’s the right thing to do. And it’s amazing. And you need it.
Come and get trashy with me!
- About 15 candy cane Oreos or peppermint Joe-Joe's, roughly chopped
- 1 cup peppermint M&M's
- 1 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1 cup peppermint marshmallows
- ¾ cup roughly chopped peppermint bark squares
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- ½ pkg (about 6 squares) vanilla Candiquik or almond bark
- First, line a flat work space generously with wax paper. Second, in a large bowl, combine the chopped cookies, M&M's, pretzels, marshmallows, chopped peppermint bark and ONE cup of chocolate chips gently.
- Melt the white candy coating according to package directions until smooth. Pour over the bowl of candy and, working quickly, being tossing together until all the candy has been coated with the white chocolate.
- Spread the mixture onto the wax papered surface in an even layer. Meanwhile, microwave the remaining one cup of chocolate chips until smooth (you may want to add a teaspoon or so of oil to keep it smooth) and drizzle the chocolate over the candy.
- Allow the candy to set and harden, about 20 minutes, before breaking into pieces to serve. This can be stored airtight up to a week or more, and is great for gift-giving!!
I love how simple it is to make this crowd-pleasing candy! You can really use whatever you have on hand, or switch up the flavors depending on the season (such as Peeps and Cadbury eggs for Easter!). I just loved the cool, refreshing peppermint twist from this candy version.