Donuts are pretty much my favorite thing on this earth.
I mean, what’s not to love?
Fried or baked, cake or yeast, glazed or iced, I love them all. Even the sometimes-questionable fruit-filled ones.
However, my favorite picks of all? Vanilla cake with tons of sprinkles, sugar donuts, and crumb donuts. Ahmazing.
Also, one time, I heard from somewhere that donuts had less sugar than bagels which practically makes donuts a health food of sorts. Who chooses a boring bagel when they could have ANY donut of their choice and still be eating healthy? Exactly my point, my friends.
Anyway, I’ve made my fair share of donuts on this blog and these Red Velvet Donuts were inevitable. While I’m not a red velvet fan, the inspiration for these pups came from this: Red Velvet Emulsion.
Plus, red velvet donuts are creepy-cool for Halloween, so why not make a batch with dripping red velvet glaze?
Speaking of genius: me. I mean, not to toot my own horn or anything, but when I spotted that red velvet emulsion and donuts came to mind, I simultaneously thought of you, my dear, loyal friends & readers. I didn’t want you guys to miss out on this whole red velvet insanity going on, so I made sure I picked up an extra emulsion.
And some other fun flavors, too…
GIVEAWAY CLOSED! Congratulations to Kesha, whose Twitter follow scored her this awesome swag! A big, big, BIG! thank you to everyone who entered!
So if you want to be sitting pretty in donut heaven, you should probably enter this giveaway you’ll have a chance to win the following: a 6-cavity donut pan, a donut dish towel, a butter flavored emulsion, a red velvet flavored emulsion, and vanilla bean paste, one of my favorite ingredients to use EVER.
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment telling me your favorite kind of donut. Apple fritter? Maple bar? Old fashioned? Donut holes? Just let me know!
For extra entries, leave a separate comment for EACH:
Contest will run from 9/16 to 9/21 where a winner will be selected randomly via Random.org around 5pm PST. Winner will be contacted immediately by email and must respond within 48 hours to claim prize or another winner will be selected. This giveaway is open to US residents only. I was NOT compensated or provided with any of these materials by the companies; I purchased these on my own.
Now, these donuts. If you like red velvet, they’re for you! Consider throwing on some Halloween-y sprinkles (eyeballs, methinks?) for a spooky twist.
Red Velvet Donuts *adapted from the Twice-Glazed Funfetti Cake Donuts recipe
2 3/4 cups red velvet cake mix
3/4 cup buttermilk (regular works, but I used low-fat)
4 tsp melted butter
1 Tbsp red velvet emulsion (if you don’t have this on hand, leave it out)
Glaze (recipe and ingredients follow)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Liberally grease a 6-cavity donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, butter, and red velvet emulsion until blended. Pour the mixture into a resealable gallon-sized baggy, seal the air out, and cut a small snip off one of the corners.
3. Pipe the mixture into the donut cavities, about 3/4 full. Bake for approx. 7-9 minutes or until donuts spring back lightly when touched. Allow to cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then gently shake onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Quick Red Velvet Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp red velvet emulsion
2-3 Tbsp milk
1. In a small bowl, combine the above ingredients. Dip tops of donuts into the glaze, allowing excess to drip off. Top with red sugar or other sprinkles, if desired.
2. Allow donuts to set, about 15 minutes, before eating. Donuts are best served the same day.
Creepy, cool and certainly statement-making describe these donuts to a T! The red velvet emulsion gives these an extra rich red velvet flavor, but if you don’t have it, it’s okay to leave it out–the donuts will still taste rich and delicious.
Hope you win! Happy Sunday!!