Wait a minute.
Carrot cake bars? Are you serious right now?
I. Do not. Make. Carrot cake. Anything. So can someone explain to me whyyyy that’s a picture of carrot cake-something I made up there? Something that looks ooey, gooey and, dare I say, good?
So I know I’m not the only one on this planet (a shame). But if I were, carrot cake probably wouldn’t exist. Why? Because I dislike it with a fiery passion, along with my hatred of pork chops, when gum gets hard (ugh–the worst) and canned green beans (just… no).
There aren’t many foods I dislike, but one of them is easily carrot cake. I don’t have real reasons why I hate it since I really like carrots and I’m not one of those people with a mental block of veggies inside desserts (beet brownies, zucchini cake, all good in my book). I think it’s because of really bad grocery store cakes or distasteful homemade versions in years past.
My grandma (still) has holiday parties with her friends, and usually for spring-related or Easter parties, there is carrot cake involved. She always thought–for whatever reason–that Alex, my brother, LOVED carrot cake with a passion, even though he A) had never said this nor B) ever proved this. So carrot cake would always come down, big fat slices of the stuff, and go uneaten and unwanted. I think we were more likely to scarf down octopus or pig eyes than touch carrot cake with a ten foot pole. Seriously.
I just. don’t. like it. Period.
But again, I can’t be a selfish blogger, or else all that would happen would be me talking about my love affair with chips and obviously that blog would be less-than-stellar and mind-numbingly boring. So, I made you carrot cake. Let’s just consider this a wordless declaration of true love for you.
But this isn’t ordinary carrot cake. This is carrot cake that’s gone balls out cray-cray. It’s stuffed with white chocolate chips, then topped with like, the gooiest caramel sauce, and then that’s topped with a smooth layer of white chocolate. I meeeeean, I totally love you. I feel like we’re having a Rachel and Ryan moment right now, all “if you’re a carrot cake, I’m a carrot cake” kinda thing. It’s romantical. It’s sweet. It’s holy hell, do you seeeee that caramel?!?
1 box carrot cake mix
1/2 cup oil
1 pkg white chocolate chips
1 bag Werther’s chewy caramels, unwrapped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 13×9 inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and oil until combined. Stir in half of the white chocolate chips. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until center is just set + edges are light golden brown. Cool completely.
3. In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt the caramels with about 2 tsp water for 45 seconds. Stir, then continue cooking for another 30-45 seconds or until smooth and melted. Mixture will be very hot.
4. Pour the caramel mixture on top of the cooled bars; spread evenly. Place the pan in the fridge to allow caramel to set, about 15 mins.
5. In another microwave-safe bowl, melt the remaining white chocolate chips with a splash of oil for about 45 seconds, stirring until smooth. Pour the mixture on top of the caramel, spreading evenly. Allow white chocolate to harden in fridge, about 10 minutes.
6. Cut into bars and serve. Store leftovers airtight, at room temperature, for about 2 days. Can store in fridge, but allow to come to room temperature before eating.
Have an awesome day!!