A few weekends ago, my mom, dad, sister and I went out for a Happy Hour at a local restaurant.
Even though it was a pasta joint, I wanted a margarita, so I got a “Blue Patron”–a marg with blue curacao and Patron.
For some reason, the brighter the color of alcoholic drinks, the BETTER they taste. Neon green, fishbowl blue, hot pink… am I right?! Like when kids want to pick bright red or blue suckers… cocktails, suckers… some things never change.
Anywho, I ordered my marg and was a sip in which my mom asked if she could try it. She said she didn’t like margaritas, but that was only because she had the stuff that tastes like Slurpees and I insisted this was far better (um, cause it is).
She took one teensy sip and her face puckered into some form of disgust. She continued about how she didn’t like margaritas. I continued drinking mine and realizing more and more I like margaritas A LOT.
So I began thinking: with Cinco de Mayo and summer approaching (let’s face it: they’re both excellent excuses to drink), I needed to do something unexpected and different. Something fruity and fun. Something margarita… but with a twist.
Enter Peach-Mango Margarita Cupcakes. They’re sweet, tart, a wholllllee lotta fruity and super awesome. Technically, there’s no booze in it (I save that for Jacqueline and Ellen) but they are dressed up real cute and have that margarita essence.
(Do margaritas have an ‘essence’? Or have I been drinking too many margaritas?) That is the question.
1 box white cake mix
1 & 1/4 cup peach mango fruit juice concentrate*, thawed
1/2 cup oil
3 egg whites
3 pkts Peach Mango Kool-Aid
Zest of one lime
Juice of one lime (about 2-3 Tbsp)
Peach-Mango Frosting (recipe & ingredients follow)
White sugar, additional lime zest, and drained pineapple tidbits–juice reserved
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 paper liners and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, concentrate, oil, egg whites and one packet of the peach-mango Kool-Aid until blended and smooth. Stir in the lime zest and juice until blended.
3. Portion the batter evenly among the muffin cups, about 2/3 full, and bake for approx. 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
Splash vanilla extract
About 2 Tbsp reserved pineapple juice
Remaining 2 pkts peach-mango Kool-Aid
About 5 cups powdered sugar
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and pineapple juice until creamy and smooth, about a minute. Gradually add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until frosting is light and fluffy. Beat in the two packets of Kool-Aid until combined.
2. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with white sugar (to resemble salt), additional lime zest and garnish with a drained pineapple tidbit.
3. Store any leftovers airtight in the fridge for up to 2 days.
**Note: if you can’t find peach-mango fruit concentrate, substitute with an orange-peach or mango-pineapple concentrate. Just stick with similar flavors and you’ll be good.**
These are so fruity and yummy! The lime really brings out the “essence” and the flavors are SO good. Not shockingly, my mom didn’t have them at the mention of the flavor ‘margarita’… but that’s okay, since there were 23 more for me
Have a great day! I have a HUUUUGE Friday Roundup for you tomorrow!