So my baby brother is taking a road-trip this week to visit his girlfriend in Eureka, California, and then flies down to see his best friend in Santa Monica.
He is managing to visit both poles of California in the span of a week.
He’s my hero.
Anyway, a few days ago I asked him to make a list of things he needs for his trip, like toothpaste, razors, mouthwash, etc., so I could run to the store and grab them for him. To which he replied, “I’m going today to get those.”
I was heartbroken. I love shopping for miniature toiletries. Don’t you?
They’re just so petite and adorable. I literally squeal with delight over the miniature toothbrushes and teensy bottles of hairspray.
Let’s face it: if the mini shampoo and lotion bottles at hotels weren’t so irresistibly cute, we wouldn’t snatch them, now would we?
Plus, miniature bottles of things are just different and intriguing. I am SO willing to brush my teeth if I can do so from a teeny little tube. Eeek!
They’re cute, like mini people.
Wait–do little people like being called ‘mini’? Doubtful.
If I were little, I’d like to be called ‘mini.’ Can you imagine a mini me? Priceless!
(BTW, if I am offending anyone, it is not intentional. I’m just being ignorant, mesmerized by tiny bottles of shave cream, obviously demented. Don’t mind me.)
So anyway, my brother was neglecting my right to buy mini toiletries for him. I wanted to come home and make a little basket of little mini things and present it to him like a little mini gift and he’d be like “OMG, Hayley, you’re so sweet!! Look how cute these little shampoo bottles are! You’re the most thoughtful sister EVER!!” and we’d giggle over the micro-bottle of mouthwash together.
But no. He shut the door and started playing French music and I was left to my own devices which usually results in very weird things. Liiiiiike Bubblegum Sugar Cookies. Yum!
It shouldn’t be a shocker that I was SOSTOKEDINEARLYCRIED when I found the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations flavor mix in Bubblegum. I mean, helloooooo. I’ve waited YEARS for this. I can officially die in a bubblegum-related coma if I wanted to and I will, dammit.
NO ONE loves bubblegum like I do. Not a freakin’ soul. I live it and breathe it, baby. And now I eat it in cookie-form!
These cookies are ridiculously easy, bro. Hop on this bubblegum bandwagon with me and let’s sail in the pink sunset. You bring the Dubble Bubble, I’ll bring the cookies. Sweeeet deal!
1 box sugar cookie mix (I used Krusteax), plus ingredients on back of box
1 Tbsp oil
2 pkts Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Bubblegum frosting mix
1/4 cup butter, softened
Splash vanilla extract
3 tsp milk
About 3 cups powdered sugar
Rainbow sugar sprinkles
1. Preheat your oven according to package directions. Line 2 baking sheets with silicon baking mats, or spray lightly with cooking spray and blot excess spray with a paper towel. Set pans aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar cookie mix, the ingredients on the back of box, ONE packet of the bubblegum mix and the Tablespoon of oil together until a soft dough forms. Scoop Tablespoonful-sized balls of dough and place them about 2″ apart on the greased cookie sheets.
3. Bake for approx. 10-12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking, or until golden brown and centers are set. Cool approx. 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool entirely.
4. For the frosting, beat the butter and the splash of vanilla until creamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, until a soft yet spreadable frosting is achieved. Add the milk if frosting becomes too pasty or thick. Lastly, beat in the remaining bubblegum flavor packet until combined.
5. Pipe or frost cooled cupcakes with the bubblegum frosting, topping with copious amounts of rainbow sugar sprinkles. Store leftovers airtight 1-2 days.
It’s amazing how much flavor is packed in such a petite cookie! They are soft and chewy like sugar cookies but have the exact flavor of juicy, sweet bubblegum. I’m in heaven! And I’m renting out a space on top of this beautiful pillow of frosting. OMG.
Have a great weekend!!