Image Map

Twinkie Cupcakes

I don’t know if any of you are Walking Dead fans, but the show is pretty much the glue that bonds me, my brother and Jessie together. When it comes to zombies and those crazy-annoying characters, we love it…

to DEATH.

Whatever.

Well, they do. I want so badly to love it to death but honestly, the horrible main characters are what holds me back. The blood-thirsty, flesh-hungry zombies are fine & good… impeccable acting and wonderful character development, may I add. But the main dudes and dudettes? Gag me.

I mean, Laurie is possibly THE STUPIDEST woman ever. First of all, she basically tells everyone what to do and then walks around doing nothing. “We should make Hershel dinner… how about you two do it?” “We should bury their bodies… you guys can dig the holes.” “Rick and Glen, go into town to get Hershel. Damn, I can’t trust they’ll go into town to get Hershel so I’ll go myself and crash the car because I’m a dumb trollop.”

Basically.

Then there’s Rick. He’s all goody-two-shoes and if his conscious could be half the size it is, he’d probably be a more likable character. Right now, I’m only getting by on Rick because he’s semi-attractive and I’ve grown to have a weird love affair with his Southern accent. So what.

OMG, don’t even get me started on Shane. I. HATE. SHANE. He’s by far the most intolerable mother-you-know EVER and I wish I could hit him over the head with a shovel and turn him into walker food. He’s that bad. Worst part? I cringe every time I watch because unfortunately, Shane is a dead ringer for one of my ex-boyfriends. Blah.

The only semi-tolerable character I can find among all this lunacy? Darryl, the hick with the homemade shivs and Carl, who looks like a younger version of my boyfriend so every time he comes on screen I squeal, “look, it’s Lil Jessie!” It’s really cute & stuff.

I have to say, with all this zombie craze going on I’ve been thinking about how I’d survive the zombie apocalypse and stuff. It’s just so mind-boggling thinking about how I’d get ahold of food and things when zombies are strolling around everywhere and more importantly, what I’d do when that food expires.

Seriously… it’s scary to think about having no more canned goods. Those stewed tomatoes you imagined would last a lifetime in your pantry? Sorry, girl, but they’ll go bad in 2014. If the apocalypse happened tomorrow, those would only be good for TWO YEARS.

Oh, the horror!

So basically I think that producers of canned goods should barricade their factories so they’d be zombie-free zones and I can still get my canned peas if all goes to hell.

One of my fave zombie movies is Zombieland, the one with Emma Stone and that awkward dude. In it, Woody Harrelson plays a zombie-killing lone wolf who has a serious love for Twinkies. Though his quest for Twinkies runs dry most of the time (including breaking and entering into several grocery stores and even a Hostess truck to search for the snack cakes) he eventually scores big-time.

It got me thinking: why are people so peeved that Twinkies have a long shelf-life? I mean, sure, they’re chock-full of preservatives, but that’s what makes food good. Your kids probably hate Brussels sprouts because they’re not loaded with preservatives, so throw some Ding Dongs in that pot and I guarantee they’ll love them.

Plus, when zombie apocalypse happens, what the hell are you organic-loving, grass-fed-beef-eating people going to eat? I can sure as hell guarantee it ain’t butternut-squash-roasted-quinoa with a delicate lemon-butter-caper chicken. Cause uh, who’s going to harvest those capers? Not you. Not I.

Y’all will be eating Twinkies and Snowballs and Nutty Bars. So I think it’s a good idea that Twinkies last forever since we will all live happy lives in a desolate earth eating creme-filled snack cakes.

The End.

Oh, by the way, before the virus hits, I made some Twinkie Cupcakes you can enjoy now. You know, while we have milk and eggs and stuff. And you should make them; they’re really good and will make you feel energized and stuff, like Brussels sprouts but better.

Twinkie Cupcakes *Twinkie filling adapted from Andie’s recipe at Can You Stay For Dinner

1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box
1 small box sugar free/fat free instant French vanilla pudding mix
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow fluff
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 teaspoons very hot water
Marshmallow Buttercream (recipe & ingredients follow)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin tins with about 20 paper liners. Set aside.
2. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, stirring the box of pudding mix into the cake batter to blend. Portion batter evenly among muffin cups, about 2/3 full, and bake for approx. 15-18 mins or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely, the core out the cupcake’s middles with a sharp, small paring knife, careful not to cut through the entire cupcake. Eat or discard centers.
3. First, dissolve the salt into the hot water and allow to cool. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the marshmallow cream, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy. Beat in the salt water. Mixture should be light but not as stiff as frosting.
4. Scoop filling into a resealable plastic bag, seal tight, and snip off a corner of the bag. Pipe the filling into each cored cupcake, filling just to the top. Refrigerate cupcakes while you prepare the frosting.

Marshmallow Buttercream

1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow fluff
2 sticks butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
About 1 bag (32 oz) powdered sugar

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the fluff, butter and vanilla until combined & creamy, about 2 mins. Gradually begin adding powdered sugar in, about one cup at a time, until frosting is light and fluffy.
2. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes, careful to cover the filled center with frosting. Store frosted cupcakes airtight, preferably in the fridge. They’re super good cold! If desired, garnish with thin slices of Twinkies.

I think the filling and the soft, moist cake is a dead ringer for Twinkies… and my Hostess-lovin’ family thought so, too! How fun would these be at a kid’s birthday party? Or, uh, for Wednesday’s after-dinner dessert, hmm?

Have a great hump day!

May be linked to:  Trick or Treat TuesdaysCrazy Sweet TuesdaysCast Party Wednesday,Dwell On FridayMrs. Fox’s Sweet PartySweet Treats Thursdays

Comments

1. Okay, so I need to give that show a try. Zombie apocalypse? I need to be prepared. I need to get to the store and stock up on Ho-Hos.

• Ugh, YES–zombie apocalypse. If I were some psycho fan I would say “yes you MUST watch it!!” but honestly, half the time I feel like my time is better spent since I inevitably end up leaving the room after the show visibly angry at the characters SO, if you like annoying characters and blood and guts and zombies, then it’s your show. Well, the zombies are cool, anyway. Haha.

2. These would be FAB with booze…Serioulsy! :)

3. I grew up on those non-expiring “baked” goods in my lunchboxes so I’m with ya! After reading this post and thinking about the contents of my pantry – it’s pretty much doomsday for me. Must. Stock. Up. On. Twinkies. NOW!!!

4. My dad would have loved these a few years ago!!!

5. These would be PERFECT for a kiddo party (or you know, just for me). I haven’t had a twinkie in ages, and I’m thinking I need to try these asap.

6. You seriously summed up my feelings for the characters in WD. I HATE SHANE. grrr I cannot even begin to explain how much I hate him…and funny enough, he’s a dead ringer for my stepdad, who I’m not too keen on. Darryl is by far the most likable.

Also your Twinkie Cupcakes look awesome :)

7. We watch The Walking Dead every week. I’m a Darryl fan, hard not to be after Boondock Saints. Zombieland made me like zombie movies again. I was getting really burned out on zombie flicks.

These cupcakes will be on my zombie apocalypse list, right after shotguns, shells, and knives.

• Yeah, Darryl has been typecast from Boondock Saints to Walking Dead which is fine by me! Sometimes it seems like he’s the only one who makes sense. I just can’t.stand.ANYONE else, really. Except Sunday’s episode, Andrea was my #1. I really, really hate erryone else.

8. im not seing where the pudding goes?

9. Hi Alica, you stir the pudding mix into the cake batter before baking the cupcakes :) the dry pudding mix makes the cake super moist.

10. If you use a pastry bag with a decorator tip you don’t need to remove cake from middle. Just insert tip into cupcake and squeeze icing into cup cake.

11. I watch Walking Dead too, and i couldn’t agree with you more about Shane! The BEST zombie movies have to be all of the Resident Evil movies. Just sayin’.

12. Funniest blog post I’ve ever read!!

13. Christine Buerger says:

I made these laswt night ~!~~ LOVE them, but OMG – how many calories do you think are in them? Who cares they were delicious : )

14. My inside cream was very runny? :( I even tried to add more marshmallow and powdered sugar, but didn’t work. I’m hoping it will thicken in the refrigerator. Anyone else have thus problem? I did use softened butter, could that be the problem?

• Hi there! If your butter was more on the melty side, it could be part of the problem. Otherwise, I’m not sure why it could be so runny. Sometimes, I need to add a lot of powdered sugar to get it to stiffen up; I’m sure once it sets in the fridge, it’ll thicken up some more. I’m sorry it isn’t as thick as you’d like, but I’m positive it’ll still taste good :) good luck!

15. This post was freaking hilarious, and I laughed out loud!! I love it. Love it. Seriously.

16. OMG you so love and hate the same people I love and hate from TWD!!! I couldn’t say it better. I red your post to my husband he was shocked to found out someone else feels the same I do. I only enjoy watching the walkers, i gave a try to see if I could be one in the show, but I wasnt that lucky!! Anyway, that buttercream sounds terrific and it is on my list to give it a try Asap.

17. goofygoofaroo says:

too bad twinkies are a sponge cake, not yellow cake

18. Do you think I can use regular pudding mix instead of sugar-free-fat-free? It’s what I have on hand. I know, I know… fat, calories, sugar grams, yadda yadda. :o)

19. Tried making these tonight. They were alright. The cake itself was delicious! I never thought of putting pudding in cake mix. I wasn’t sure about the filling just from tasting it, but in the end it came through fine. It was a little too buttery though. But the frosting I just couldn’t get right. I followed the instructions and it was so thick! I added some milk to thin it which helped a lot but it was still very gritty and very, very sweet (in almost a sickening way). Next time I will try some other frosting and a lot less butter! Thanks for the great start!

• Hey Kim! Sorry the frosting didn’t turn out to your expectations! I’m gonna take another look at the recipe and see that it wasn’t an accident on my part with measurements. Otherwise, thanks for giving it a try and leaving feedback! I’m glad you liked the cake and I could pass on the tip about instant pudding–seriously foolproof. :)

20. jessica says:

im a little confused do i need 2 jars of marshmallow fluff?? one for the inside filling and one for the icing??

21. My family and I get zombie stuff for each other all the time.
    I got Resident Evil trilogy for Valentine’s and Resident Evil 4 for Christmas……lol
    You are hilarious and describe Walking Dead perfectly, but you should know the character Rick is actually English and was in a show called After Life that was AWESOME!!
    Making these cupcakes for my Anniversary Friday.

22. how many cupcakes does this make??? Going to make them this weekend for the grandkids :)

23. I found these twinkie cupcakes on pinterest and am excited to try them. As for TWD? I am in love with Darryl and hope to run away with him during the zombie apocalypse!

24. Ann Marie says:

How do you get the cute icing swirls? Is it a special tip?

• Hi Ann Marie! Yes, I use Wilton’s Open Star Tip #1M. You can find it at Hobby Lobby and Michael’s. Just attach the tip onto your icing bag, fill the bag with frosting, and gently swirl the frosting onto the tops of the cupcakes in a clockwise motion. You can also use this tip to make drop flowers and stars :)

25. cathi radford says:

cant find sugar free french vanilla, can i use regular french vanilla pudding and how much.

• Hi Cathi, absolutely! Use what you have on hand. And the normal-sized box is fine, I believe it’s the 3-4 serving size one.

• The sugar-free-fat-free vanilla is a 1 oz box, and the regular french vanilla is 3.4 oz. Do you still use the whole box if you are using the regular french vanilla or just use 1 oz of it?

• Hi Andrea, I know–those boxes are funky and I don’t know why one is smaller and the other is larger. Either way, you can get away with using the entire box of either size. I’ve made cupcakes with the bigger pudding box and the smaller pudding box and they turn out great either way!

26. I found you on pinterest! Those cupcakes look delish! I can’t wait to try then out on my Hostess-loving husband!

27. I’m a little confused on the recipe. On line #3 you state “First, dissolve the salt into the hot water and allow to cool. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the marshmallow cream…” (I’M ASSUMING THIS IS THE 7OZ JAR OF MARSHMALLOW FLUFF?) Is the filling the same as the topping? Also, your list of ingredients say “1/3 cup of powdered sugar”, but the “marshmallow buttercream” list “about 1 32oz bag of powdered sugar”. The ingredient list also allows for ½ cup of butter but the ‘marshmallow buttercream” calls for 2 sticks of butter. Vanilla extract calls for ½ tsp but the “marshmallow buttercream” calls for 1tsp of vanilla extract. This looks amazing and I cannot wait to make them! I just want to make them right!

• Hey Amanda! Sorry my ingredients appear to be confusing. Usually for my cupcake recipes, I write out my list of ingredients for the cupcakes, and a list of ingredients for the frosting. It helps me see it visually better than clumping it all into one list. So technically, you will need all of the cupcake ingredients PLUS all of the frosting ingredients. 1/2 cup of butter goes toward the cupcakes, plus an additional 2 sticks of butter goes toward the frosting… see what I’m saying? Hope that clarifies it for ya; sorry it was a bit confusing!

• Ok, so should be listed like this:

Cake:
        Yellow cake mix
        Small box of instant French vanilla pudding
        Filling:
        7oz jar of marshmallow fluff
        ½ cup of butter
        1/3 cup of Powdered sugar
        1/2tsp vanilla extract
        1/4tsp salt
        2tsp hot water
        Marshmallow Buttercream:
        7oz jar of marshmallow fluff
        2 sticks of butter, soften
        1tsp vanilla extract
        1 bag of powdered sugar

Thanks so much!

• I guess I may still be confused (not shocking at all!)….

I made the cupcake, cored them out. For the filling do I prepare a marshmallow buttercream recipe and add the butter, pwd sugar, vanilla, salt and hot water to that AND then prepare a second marshmallow butter cream for the top of the cupcake. In the recipe it says to add the marshmallow cream. Do you mean marshmallow fluff? Or for the filling do I just add ingredients Amanda has listed below under filling? Sorry to be so confusing!!! I made it tonight as a trial for a baby shower and I just used the marshmallow buttercream as the filling and frosting. I would love to make it exactly how you recommend it here! Thanks so much!

Hi Mindy! No worries at all; I didn’t write them very well! So this is your filling:
            1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow fluff
            1/2 cup butter
            1/3 cup powdered sugar
            1/2 tsp vanilla extract
            1/4 tsp salt
            2 teaspoons very hot water

Make that according to the directions and fill the cored cupcakes with that mixture. Then, the marshmallow buttercream is separate — that’s the frosting part only. Though you sure could fill and frost with the buttercream, but that recipe above ^^ is just for the filling :) so in other words, you’ll need 2 jars of marshmallow fluff/cream. Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Love love love these!!! Have made them 3 times and can’t wait til the next reason to make them!!

28. Would the cupcakes still turn out okay if I don’t add the marshmallow fluff?

29. I made these for a shower I hosted today. I thought the end product did not taste like twinkies. I followed the recipe to a T. They are definitely VERY sweet :) I had a lot of people like them, some thought they were ok. I topped them off with bowler hats and mustaches! It was Charlie Chaplin themed.

30. I really didn’t need to find this recipe. Oh shit.

31. I really didn’t like this recipe! The frosting was too sweet and firm. The filling had a weird flavor. The cake was fine though.

32. Kawanna Holman says:

Ur hilarious. I loveeeee walking dead..and everythingbu said i agree..and id def do darryl

33. These sound amazing! I hope you are still watching Walking Dead – because this season has knocked my socks off. I have to say Laurie has always driven me nuts – Rick I always loved, his level head etc. and Glenn – they need him whether they know it or not. Shane… ugh wanted to kill him so bad during season 2. The way this show keeps evolving to me is amazing. I like that it shows you how life can, will go one after the zombie invasions… wow I just said that like I think it’s right around the corner… I totally think like you though… and they address what happens when the food runs out in this season.

WOw… that was a long comment for a thanks for the twinkie recipe especially now that hostess is going bust.

34. now that hostess is bankrupt- these will come in handy!! So excited to make them and if they taste like twinkies, I can finally stop bidding on boxes of twinkies on ebay!! :) Thanks for the recipe!!

35. Whore? Nice.

36. I made these today and the cake and filling are great! I don’t think the powdered sugar amount in the frosting is right. I only added a little over half and I still needed to add milk. It was way too stiff and too sweet. I will try them again with less butter and powdered sugar in the frosting.

37. Cupcake girl says:

These look absolutely amazing!! I’m going to try them this weekend, can’t wait!
    May I ask what size piping tip you used?
    I’ve been driving myself crazy buying different size tips to get the right size piping I want!
    Thanks!!

38. Ok I made these last night and they were delish! My nephew came over and tried them and he loves twinkies and he said they were better than twinkies! I will be making these alot now! Thanks!

39. Wow! This is such an amazing find for me! Not only were twinkies full of lard (and therefore, not something I can eat) but I’m pretty sure they dont even make them anymore? Either way, EXCITED!

And I bet after your rant a year ago, you’re excited that Lauri is off the show ;)

40. Trish @ Mom On Timeout says:

Just saw this on Pinterest and clicked over – who should it be but my pal Hayley talking about zombies! Thanks! I needed a laugh this morning :) Oh yeah. These LOOK AMAZING!

41. Ok
    So wd….. shane reminds me of my ex too… funny thing is is that his name is shane. Ha go figure.lol
    On to cupcakes….. I used a cupcake corer thingy I got for xmas and used the cupcake center to make adult cupcake balls.
    Took your advice from another response and used the marshmallow flavored vodka with some of the icing.
    Omg
    They were sooo good.
    Thanks for the recipe. I will def. Pinn it :)

42. I really need to make these

43. I made these tonight for a fundraiser tomorrow. The only thing I changed was that I made my yellow cake from scratch, the box would have been easier but I’m trying to maintain my reputation ;) I thought your directions were very clear and easy to follow. My favorite part of this recipe is the buttercream, it is AMAZING!!! I am so excited about the buttercream. I will use it for many cakes to come. Thank you for sharing this! I can’t wait to share my cupcakes tomorrow.

44. Just a thought about the powdered sugar for the frosting. The recipe says 1 bag of 32 oz. That is the larger powdered sugar bag. Don’t they also make a 16 oz bag? I wound up not adding the entire 32 oz bag because the frosting was just getting firmer and firmer. However, it turned out super yummy. And the filling?? O. M. G. So much love!! Next time I want to cut out even more of the cupcake to fit even more filling in there. (or maybe just eat the filling with a spoon…..)

• Hey Kristi! You’re right .. I suggest the 32 oz bag because I hate not having enough powdered sugar (especially when making icing in the summer and its prone to deflating quickly!) but you could def. get away with using less. So glad you enjoyed them!!

45. The best Damn food/ desert I have ever tasted. Period…that includes everything, everywhere I have been. You are my
    ‘m hmm”m.

46. Yummy!!!

47. What a great idea – these look amazing! :)

48. pjsassifras says:

@drunkcupcakes is using this image and others from your site to sell their cupcakes on Twitter & Facebook.

49. How many cupcakes does this recipe make?

50. I found this site on pinterest and made your twinkie cupcakes. OMG! They are absolutely amazing! I gave one each to my bosses and now they beg me for more! Thanks so much.

51. Cait Polis says:

I gotta say… two years and this recipe is still going strong! I am doing a test run of these beauties today so I could not be more excited! Thanks for such a great recipe!

Trackbacks

1. [...] it’s really no surprise that when I found this recipe for Twinkie cupcakes, I made it my mission to make them [...]

2. [...] Twinkie + Cupcake = [...]

3. [...] Twinkie Cupcakesmakes 24 cupcakesrecipe from The Domestic Rebel [...]

4. [...] thedomesticrebel.com via Amanda on [...]

5. [...] Twinkie Cupcakes from The Domestic Rebel [...]

6. [...] course, there were several recipe options on the boards, but I chose one for Twinkie cupcakes, since I thought they would be the easiest to make. The photo on Pinterest looks like [...]

7. [...] time I made Twinkies, we went over the Walking Dead and all that stuff about post-apocalyptic food… like Twinkies [...]

8. [...] you’re missing Twinkies, give these cupcakes a [...]

9. [...] Cupcakes adapted from The Domestic Rebel (makes 20 [...]

10. [...] This recipe uses regular old yellow-cake box mix. [...]

11. [...] This recipe uses regular old yellow-cake box mix. [...]

12. [...] This recipe for Twinkie cupcakes was modified from This Recipe. [...]

13. seo Lake Arrowhead…

Twinkie Cupcakes | The Domestic Rebel…

14. [...] Find the recipe at :  thedomesticrebel.com [...]

15. […] out of business, this recipe will make sure that you never have to go without. This recipe from Domestic Rebel, is a homemade take on a convenience store classic. Leave the taste of the perfect combination of […]