I always have had this inexplicable hatred for monkeys. It’s like part of my DNA. They’re just annoying and gross and just… no.
I just do not like monkeys.
And trust me, I have received my fair share of people trying to reform my monkey-hating ways.
“What about baby monkeys?”
“What about little chimpanzees?”
“What about the fact that we could have come from monkeys?”
Baby monkeys are gross. Little chimps are gross. And I’m not religious, but I really don’t like my other alternative being that I came from a monkey. It’s just kind of nasty.
The only exception to my monkey-hating ways? Sock monkeys.
I really like those kinds of monkeys.
If we descended from sock monkeys, I’d be all for it. They’re cute and cuddly, don’t pick bugs out of other sock monkeys’ hair-dos and eat them, and don’t fling poo.
Sorry, but it’s not cute, nor funny.
The one thing I kinda like about monkeys (besides sock monkeys, of course)? I can appreciate the fact that they like bananas. Because I mean, who doesn’t? Bananas rock.
Today I was kind of pondering the idea of doing a banana cupcake but switching things up a bit. So I thought about doing some banana chocolate chip cupcakes, and behold, these little cakes were born. They’re moist and sweet, but the bananas sweetness is tamed a little by the chocolate chips in the cake.
And anything with chocolate frosting is yummy. This is also coming from the girl who doesn’t like chocolate, either.
I know I’m weird, I don’t need reminding.
Thus, with a banana cupcake needed to come a cute cupcake design. And admittedly, monkeys would be perfect, so I made my little monkey cupcakes. And I am happy they look like sock monkeys and taste yummy, therefore changing my mind ONLY SLIGHTLY about monkeys–but only because of these adorable cupcakes.
Banana Chocolate Chip Monkey Cupcakes
* adapted from Betty Crocker’s Big Book of Cupcakes
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup chocolate chips (mini, or regular-sized morsels), plus additional 1/4 cup chocolate chips, regular-sized
2 cans chocolate frosting or chocolate buttercream
For monkeys: remaining chocolate chips (above); 1 box Nilla Wafers; 1 pkg Runts (bananas only); and red and black piping gel/frosting (I used Wilton)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, eggs, bananas and oil with an electric mixer, about 2 minutes, or until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Portion into muffin cups and bake, approximately 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Let cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, cut Nilla Wafers tops off with a very sharp knife. You want it to be a generously-sized, almost half-moon looking shape for the jaw part. The top sliver you can use for ears, one sliver = one ear.
3. Spread cooled cupcakes with chocolate frosting. Take one “jaw” piece and attach it to the bottom part of the frosted cupcake. Take two chocolate chips and invert them, gently pressing them point side down into the cupcake just above the flat line of the upper jaw. Take two slivers and put one on each side of the cupcake for the ears. Finally, using your piping gel/frosting, pipe two black dots at the top of the jaw for the nose, and one red smile for the mouth.
4. With remaining cupcakes, frost with chocolate icing and sprinkle with green non-pareils or sugars, like I did, and top with banana Runts candies.
These cupcakes are super cute–and super yummy. You should make them and make people smile as big as these cute little monkey cupcakes are!
Happy Monkeying Around! 🙂